Below is a list of the organisations, with web sites, that publish journals that have articles which may be of interest with regard to the medieval fortifications in England and Wales.
Some, but by no means all, journals have web sites and of these only a few have article indexes. The details of specific journal articles can be found on the relevant individual site pages.
National and International
- Castle Studies Group Journal (indexes and some articles)
- Château Gaillard index (in french)
- Council for British Archaeology (CBA) (much of British Archaeology available)
- Internet Archaeology - 'the premier e-journal for archaeology' from Department of Archaeology, University of York
- Society of Antiquaries of London (contents of recent issues of The Antiquaries Journal. Contents of earlier volumes and purchaseable copies of some articles available from Cambridge Journals online. Archaeologia was the former major publication of the society from 1770 to 1991. The contents of volumes and purchaseable copies of some articles also available from Cambridge Journals online. A secondary journal Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaies of London, published between 1849-1920, is also a digitised archive at Cambridge Journals online.)
- Royal Archaeological Institute (contents of recent issues of The Archaeological Journal can be purchased on an article bases via ArchLib). Volumes 1 (1844) to 120 (1963) are fully and freely available online via The Archaeological Data Service.
- Society for Medieval Archaeology (the
first 50 volumes of Medieval Archaeology (1956-2005) are now available online via Archaeology Data Service. A searchable database of the more recent excavation reports printed as 'Medieval Britain and Ireland' is also available.)
- Royal Historical Society (indexes of Transactions... Also available, along with purchasable copies of articles from Cambridge Journals online)
- Ancient Monuments Society (index of Transactions...)
- British Archaeological Association
- Fortress Study Group (some contents of, and some articles from, Fort)
- Medieval Settlement Research Group
- Antiquity (contents by issue and a few articles)
- Current Archaeology (contents, with short abstracts, of recent issues)
- Battle Conference on Anglo-Norman Studies
- Nottingham Medieval Studies (author and volume indexes)
- Society for Landscape Studies (contents and abstacts of Landscape History)
- Cambrian Archaeological Association Archaeologia Cambrensis; contents of recent volumes) (The series may become available online in the future from Welsh Journals Online)
- Studia Celtica - previously the Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies (The series may become available online in the future from Welsh Journals Online)
- The British Archaeological Trust (details of recent issues of Rescue News)
- Society of Architecutural Historians of Great Britain (Details on obtaining articles from Architectural History and author, place and person indexes up to Vol. 46)
- De Re Militari - The Society for Medieval Military History (Table of contents of Journal of Medieval Military History)
- The Medieval Academy of America publish a quartley journal Speculum. (Contents of volumes from 1966 and purchaseable copies of some articles available from Cambridge Journals online.)
- History Today has many article for sale but Oliver Creighton's 'Castles, Lordship and Settlement in Norman England and Wales' from 2003 is freely available. Archives for History Today from 1980 and History Review from 1995-2012.
- BBC History Magazine is populist but occasionally has articles of interest.
The CBA listing of regional and local societies. (with many broken links)
The links below are general for sites with indexes of their publications or details of how to obtain publications. Smaller groups without signifcant publications are general omitted;
Most CBA groups publish newsletters, often twice yearly, and many groups are now making these available online but these are rarely full research articles. A few groups publish journals of academic articles.
- CBA East (Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk and Suffolk) (The former Mid Anglia and East Anglia Groups)
- CBA East Midlands (Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Rutland)
- CBA London (Greater London) (Downloadable Newsletter)
- CBA North (Cumbria, Durham, Northumberland, Teesside, Tyne & Wear) (Downloadable Newsletter)
- CBA North West (Cheshire, Greater Manchester, Lancashire, Merseyside) (Downloadable Newsletter)
- CBA South East (Kent, Surrey, Sussex) (Downloadable Newsletter)
- CBA South Midlands (Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire) (Downloads and index of South Midlands Archaeology - formerly CBA Group 9 Newsletter)
- CBA South West (Cornwall, Devon, Gloucestershire, Somerset) (Current Newsletter with plans for earlier newsletter to be made available)
- CBA Wessex (Berkshire, Dorset, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Wiltshire, Channel Islands) (publications page)
- CBA West Midlands (Hereford, Worcester, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, West Midlands) (West Midlands Archaeology)
- CBA Yorkshire (Indexes of Forum and downloadable Newsletters)
County and Local District
- Welsh Journals Online (WJO) provides free access to scholarship from Wales. Currently has Welsh History Review, Brycheiniog, Ceredigon, Montgomeryshire Collections, Flintshire Historical Society Journal, Gower, Minerva, Morgannwg, South Wales Record Society, Radnorshire Society transactions, Pembrokeshire historian and others with other journals still being added.