The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Hatfeild Hall, Stanley

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Methley; Wodhall in Metheley; Hatfeild

In the civil parish of Wakefield.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of Leeds.
1974 county of West Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire West Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE34142347
Latitude 53.70661° Longitude -1.48415°

Hatfeild Hall, Stanley has been described as a Fortified Manor House although is doubtful that it was such.

There are no visible remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


Hatfeild Hall was built between 1598 and 1608 for Gervase Hatfeild and his wife Grace (formerly Grace Savile of Stanley Hall). There had been a house, then called Woodhall, on the site of Hatfeild Hall long before the Hatfeilds came to Stanley. Woodhall was owned by Robert Fleming in the 14th century, whose estates passed via his daughter, Cicely, the wife of Robert Waterton, to her son, also called Robert, who was Master of the Horse to Henry the Fourth. Woodhall came into Savile hands in the early 16th century when one of the Saviles married Catherine Chaloner, daughter of its then owner, John Chaloner. (Stanley History Online unreferenced)

Grave was the only surviving daughter of Edward Savile of Stanley (also known as Midgley) Hall, which she claimed upon his death in 1590. Shortly afterwards she married Gervase, eldest son of Henry Hatfeild of Wilford, Notts. The newly-weds soon found their claim to Stanley Hall threatened by Grace's great-uncle, George Savile of Haselden Hall, who produced a document which showed that the estate was entailed only the male heirs of the Savile line. The dispute was referred to Sir John Savile of Howley and Gervase Nevile of Chevet, who decided in favour of George Savile. Forced to leave Stanley Hall, Gervase and Grace were left with the unentailed Horsecroft, which seems to have formed part of the estate left to Grace by her father. A medieval manor house, Woodhall, already stood on the Horsecroft, but they found it unsuitable, and in 1598 the old hall was demolished to make way for a new one. Supplied with oak from Sir John Savile's woods at Howley, they built a grand mansion with fourteen rooms on each floor. Work on the newly named Hatfeild Hall was finally completed in 1608. (Stanley History Online ref. 'a pedigree made by John Hatfeild Kaye in the late 19th century')

Possible the 'Wodhall in Metheley' granted a licence to crenellate to Robert Waterton and three others in 1410.
The archaic Hatfeild spelling is often retained for this Hall but modern Hatfield spelling is also used.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:08

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact