GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Beadnell; The Craster Arms

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Beadlen

In the civil parish of Beadnell.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.
Medieval County of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NU22932927
Latitude 55.55655° Longitude -1.63816°

Beadnell; The Craster Arms has been described as a certain Pele Tower.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

A will of 1587 mentions a tower at Beadnell in the possession of the Forster family. It is now known as the 'Craster Arms' and preserves much of its ancient masonry (Bateson 1893).
NU 2212927. The only external feature of this tower is the NE wall 7.0m long containing a blocked up narrow window - the other walls are embodied in the Craster Arms (F1 JHO 24-MAR-55).
The tower was built between 1520 and 1587 by Thomas Forster, but by 1818 it had been converted into the Bull Inn, now the Craster Arms (King 1983; Dodds 1999). (PastScape)

Medieval and C18. Ashlar facade, random rubble to rear. Welsh slate roof. C18 front block with medieval tower attached to rear. Front block: 3 storeys, 2 bays with sash windows. Above 1st floor windows a large, well-carved, painted stone arms of the Craster family with long stone foliage trails. Gabled roof with flat coping, kneelers and end stack. Above window on right return a carved King's head. Doorway on right return. 2-storey tower to rear is now a lean-to against front block. Massive walls c.9 ft. thick. One slit window remains on right return. C18 round-headed window on left return. Interior has pointed tunnel-vaulted basement divided by old cross wall. Stone newel stair. Later lean-to on right return, and lower wing to rear, not of special interest. (Listed Building Report)

A small medieval tower is incorporated in the Craster Arms public house in Beadnell village. The rear half of the main block of the building is formed by the tower, c.8.7m by 7.2m externally, with walls of large roughly squared and coursed stone 1.5m to 1.8m thick; there are 20th century additions on all sides. There do not appear to be any medieval references to the tower. The tower was purchased from John Swinburn in 1563 by Thomas Forster of Adderstone; it remained in Forster ownership until the early 18th century. By 1818 it had become a public house, 'The Bull Inn'; it was later renamed 'The Craster Arms'.
At basement level, no part of the external wall faces are exposed. Internally the basement is used as a cellar and has a roughly segmental east-west barrel vault; the west end is cut off by a later cross wall; in the centre of the west wall is the inner splay of a rectangular loop (now blocked) and at the south west corner a corbel. The original form of the larger eastern part of the basement is rather difficult to comprehend due to later alterations. A rounded projection on the north is formed by an old bread oven having been built into the basement: a passage on the west side of the oven, linking through to the public bar, has the inscription 'Entrance cut from Pele Tower 1936' scratched on a piece of cement. The south east corner of the basement is partitioned off by a quadrant-plan wall of old brick. Within the small chamber which this produces, a rough opening at the south end of the east wall opens into a mural stair rising northward, lit by a tiny loop. The stair head doorway, now blocked, appears to have been square headed. There are two further openings cut through the basement wall, one on the south into the 18th century front block and one on the east into modern additions. Neither shows any feature of antiquity.
Externally, parts of the east and west walls of the tower are exposed at first floor level. On the east there is the tiny loop lighting the stair, with above it a larger square headed window, now blocked. The west wall is rendered with a large round headed sash. Above the first floor, the tower now has its roof pent against the taller front block; on the east the masonry of this section appears to have been rebuilt.
The interior of the first floor was not seen; there are said to be no ancient features. Some accounts refer to remains of an old fireplace, it is not clear where.
The front block appear to be of mid 18th century date; there is reported to have been an inscription with the date '1751' and the initials 'F' (Forster) and 'I' and 'S' on a door sill in the building (Ryder 1994-5). (Northumberland HER)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 25/05/2017 08:03:24

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤