GATEHOUSE
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous 
Back to list 

Merthen Manor House, Constantine

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Moreden

In the civil parish of Constantine.
In the historic county of Cornwall.
Modern Authority of Cornwall.
1974 county of Cornwall.

OS Map Grid Reference: SW72712639
Latitude 50.09416° Longitude -5.17912°

Merthen Manor House, Constantine has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

Possible fortified manor house dated 1575 although it maybe earlier, altered circa early to mid C19 and again in C20. It has two storeys, and is constructed from cement washed shale rubble with a slate roof. Depicted on a document of circa 1545 as a large, castellated house with four round towers. The date 1575 may refer to a reduction and remodelling of the house rather than a complete rebuilding. (PastScape)

Merthen has been held by the Vyvyans of Trelowarren since the C17, but it was formerly the seat of the Reskymers. In the C11 it was part of the manor of Winnianton and therefore not mentioned in the Domesday Book. It was held by the Crown. In 1225 Henry III made his brother Richard, Earl of Cornwall and gave him Winnianton which he exchanged with Gervase de Tintagel for Tintagel Castle. In the early C15 Merthen eventually passed to Ralph Reskymer and it is generally thought John Reskymer and his wife Grace built the present house in 1575 because of their arms over the entrance, but that may refer to a remodelling of that time. John Reskymer died in 1617 and Grace in 1627. In 1629 Merhen was sold to Sir Francis Vyvyan of Trelowarren. (Listed Building Report)

Mentioned by Leland as a manor of Mr Reskimer 'There hath beene a fair house, but it felle to ruine in tyme of mynde'. He also mentions a park.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
  • Websites (Gatehouse is not responsible for the content of external websites.)
  • Books
    • Chesher, V.M. and F.J.,1968, The Cornishman's House p. 50-51
      Henderson, C., 1937, A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall p. 88-123
      Lysons, D. and Lysons, S., 1814, Magna Britannia Vol. 3 p. 67 online transcription
  • Antiquarian (Histories and accounts from late medieval and early modern writers)
    • Chandler, John, 1993, John Leland's Itinerary: travels in Tudor England  (Sutton Publishing) p. 71
      Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1907, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 1 p. 194, 195 online copy
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated on Saturday, November 15, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤