GATEHOUSE
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous 
Back to list 

Blenkinsopp Hall

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Blenkinsop; Blenkensop; Blenkensopp; Dryburnhaugh

In the civil parish of Greenhead.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY68186412
Latitude 54.97073° Longitude -2.49881°

Blenkinsopp Hall has been described as a probable Pele Tower.

There are no visible remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Blenkinsopp Hall was a border fortalice, and in latter years, has had large additions made to it. The east tower was built in 1835 (Hodgson 1840).
Mrs Joicey, wife of the owner, Major Joicey stated that there are no remains of the old Tower in situ. The present structure consists of a large rectangular block, built of small, fashioned stones which may have come from the demolished tower. The north entrances and all drainpipes bear the date 1877. Just to the east of the main entrance, a very small window from the early building has been inserted into the wall. In the garden along the south-west face of the Hall, and near the south corner, are several fragments of carved stone, including a part of a decorated water spout. No other remains of an earlier building could be recognised in or around the present structure (F1 ASP 13-NOV-56). (PastScape)

Country house. c.1800 front range (possibly incorporating older core); rear additions and internal alterations of 1835 (possibly by John Dobson) and c.1877 (addition of parapets, porch and rebuilding of rear). Squared rubble front range with ashlar dressings; dressed and ashlar masonry on returns and rear; graduated green slate roofs and ashlar chimneys. Castellated style. (Listed Building Report)

Called vanished tower by King. There is no actual physical evidence of medieval building here. The name Blenkinsop Hall comes from the family of Blenkinsop of Blenkinsop Castle; the medieval name of the location was Dryburnhaugh. The fact Hodgson writes this was a border fortalice may suggest Hodgson had confabulated this Hall with Blenkinsop Castle which was called a fortalicium in the 1415 list. Certainly Hodgson cites no evidence to support his statement 'It was a border fortalice'. Hodgson's history starts in 1663. The Hall is in a park. Did this actually start as a hunting lodge in a park of the castle?
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
  • Websites (Gatehouse is not responsible for the content of external websites.)
  • Books
    • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 345
      Long, B., 1967, Castles of Northumberland (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) p. 71
      Graham, Frank, 1976, The Castles of Northumberland (Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Frank Graham) p. 76
      Hodgson, J., 1840, History of Northumberland (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Part 2 Vol. 3 p. 133 online copy
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated on Saturday, November 15, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤