The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Ombersley Abbots Palace

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Ombersley Court; Ambersley; Ambresleye

In the civil parish of Ombersley.
In the historic county of Worcestershire.
Modern Authority of Worcestershire.
1974 county of Hereford and Worcester.
Medieval County of Worcestershire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SO842633
Latitude 52.26839° Longitude -2.23310°

Ombersley Abbots Palace has been described as a probable Palace, and also as a probable Pele Tower.

There are no visible remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Ombersely, held by Evesham Abbey from 706 AD until the dissolution, except for 36 years, was an important residence, perhaps a palace, of the mitred abbots of Evesham, whose privileges ranked with those of the Bishops of Worcester. Certainly such a residence existed here from C13 and evidence exists of grants of warrens, fishstews and a park at some place called Lineholt. A late C14 description of the buildings and appurtenances, which included a chapel, dovecote and mills, survives and a further detailed survey was taken in 1584 when the principal buildings were restored. The fishponds referred to are probably those at SO 840626, south of which lie cropmarks which might be related to this ecclesiastical residence. The present Ombersley Court (SO 842633) was built about 1710. (PastScape)

Free warren at Ombersley was granted in 1251 to the Abbot of Evesham, and in 1275–6 it was presented at the assizes that he had made a new warren without licence. Various improvements were made in the manor of Ombersley during the 13th and 14th centuries. Abbot Ralph (1214–29) made a fish stew at Lineholt and two other stews under the court. His successor, Abbot Thomas of Marlborough, assarted 2 carucates of land at Chattesley, having obtained the permission of Walter de Beauchamp, who had common at Chattesley. John de Brokhampton (1282–1316) erected a room with a vault at Ombersley Manor, and Abbot John Ombersley (1367–79) added a hall and two rooms, one in the west and one in the north, a stable outside the lower door and a small grange in the outer court. He also obtained licence from the king in 1376 to inclose 300 acres of land and water in the manor called the wood of Lineholt and to make a park there. Abbot Roger Zatton (1379–1418) restored the fish-pond called Trylpole and mills at Ombersley, and rebuilt the dovecot, kitchen and chapel. Abbot William de Bois died at Ombersley in 1367. At the time of the surrender of Evesham Abbey the manor of Ombersley was bringing in the considerable revenue of £121 7s. 9 d. to its owners. (VCH 1913)

Should not really be in the Gatehouse database as not a royal or bishops palace. However, the mitred abbot of Evesham had a similar status to a bishop and the Abbey Chronicle gives some interesting historical background to the site. The early C14 reference to the building of a cameram cum volta (Chron. Evesham p. 288) is translated as a room with a vault in the VCH but many references to cameram do seem to refer to small residential (solar) towers and this reference, with the express vault, may well be to a tower, although this may well not have had any 'fortifications.' Nothing remains of the medieval buildings.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:27

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact