GATEHOUSE
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Eglingham Church of St Maurice

In the civil parish of Eglingham.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NU106194
Latitude 55.46890° Longitude -1.83387°

Eglingham Church of St Maurice has been described as a probable Pele Tower, and also as a Fortified Ecclesiastical site although is doubtful that it was such.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

Parish church. Fabric of uncertain medieval date in nave, north chapel and chancel; west tower later C13; nave and chancel partly rebuilt c.1650; south wall of nave rebuilt again late C18; vestry dated 1826 on lintel; south transept added, east end rebuilt, and north chapel partly rebuilt c.1837 by J. Green; porch 1865; designed by Archdeacon Coxe; tower parapet and spire rebuilt 1870; east window replaced early C20. Medieval and C17 parts rubble except for tower of large squared stone; C18/19 parts squared stone; Welsh slate roofs and spire. Aisleless nave with west tower, north-west porch, north chapel (Ogle Pew) and south transept; chancel with north vestry.
Nave has two 2-light windows on south, C18 altered c.1837; two C18 lancets and C19 stepped buttress on north. 2 small blocked lancets on west, flanking tower with tall chamfered plinth and set-back below belfry; stepped stair projection on north. West lancet with square-headed window over, high-set lancet on south above blocked loop, paired lancet belfry openings. Parapet and octagonal spire with slate-hung lucarnes and wrought-iron finial cross. Porch has plinth, moulded sill string and linked hoodmoulds. 2-light window on north and boarded door on west under gables. North chapel has C19 2-light window on north and moulded doorway on west; south transept has chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, 4-light south window and 2-light east and west windows. Chancel has priests' door flanked by windows of 3 round-headed lights, all under hoodmoulds; 3-light east window. Vestry has blocked doorway on east and 3-light window on north. Coped gables on moulded kneelers; ring-cross finials.
Interior plastered except for east wall of nave. Chamfered round chancel arch on chamfered imposts is probably a C17 re-use of older material. C19 arches elsewhere. Nave, chapel and transept have collar-beam roofs on moulded corbels; chancel has early C20 boarded barrel ceiling with moulded wall plate on carved corbels. Inside tower, rebated arched cupboard on 1st floor. Blocked lancet on east may be early C13 west window of nave prior to addition of tower.
Old box pews in south transept, 2 with brass nameplates. Pulpit, reading desk and lectern of 1905; carved panels with linenfold and tracery. Carved and moulded octagonal font dated 1663. Cross slab of c.1530 with arms of Henry Ogle, in floor of north chapel. 1808 wall tablet to Rev. Jas. Somerville '24 Years Minister of the Dissenting Congregation of Branton', in south transept; some old ledger stones in chancel, and C19 wall tablets in nave. East window Transfiguration, dated 1908. 2 medieval bells in tower: C13 or early C14 trebf inscribed 'AIRAM EVA', tenor (from Old Bewick) inscribed '+ Antonises minen name ic ben gemacet int iaer MCCCCLXXXIX' (not seen). In porch C12 font bowl from Branton, head of C15 cross slab and C18 headstone. (Listed Building Report)

Brooke writes the tower is strongly built and suggests it accommodation for a sexton or priest or a retreat for villagers.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
    County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated on Saturday, September 20, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤