The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Greystoke Church of St Andrew

In the civil parish of Greystoke.
In the historic county of Cumberland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Cumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY44343077
Latitude 54.66899° Longitude -2.86478°

Greystoke Church of St Andrew has been described as a Fortified Ecclesiastical site although is doubtful that it was such.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Parish church, at one time a college for priests. C13 with extensive C15 alterations and additions, with restorations of 1645, 1848 and 1878-99. Dressed mixed red, pink and cream sandstone, with string courses, parapet and angle buttresses with finials, all on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables and cross finials. Square west tower; aisled nave with south porch and priest's chamber, now vestry; chancel. Rebuilt 1848 3-stage tower has pointed doorway and small trefoil-headed windows under hoodmoulds. Battlemented parapet with angle water spouts. North aisle has pointed -arched doorway but wall above has been rebuilt in C19 with 3 of the 4 Perpendicular windows replaced. 5-light east window. South aisle is completely C15: round-arched doorway under hoodmould within C15 gabled stone porch. Further blocked round-arched central doorway (probably to chantry chapel, of which there were 6). Large 3-light windows and small Tudor window over porch, all under continuous hoodmould. Priest's chamber above has 2-light Tudor windows on 2 levels, under battlemented parapet; projecting round angle turret. Large 5-light east window. Chancel has inscription in north wall THIS CHANCEL WAS REPAIRED 1645 BY THOS HOWARD OF GREYSTOKE EARL OF ARUNDEL AND SURREY AND W. MORLAND RECTOR: WAS RESTORED 1848 BY HENRY HOWARD OF GREYSTOKE & HENRY ASKEW RECTOR. Perpendicular windows and south priest's door. 5-light east window. Interior: C19 open timber roof. 6-bay arcades of pointed arches, the eastern arches larger and intended for transepts, the remainder on round piers replaced in 1817-18. Wall plaque to William Williams, 1679. North aisle has hatchment of Howard arms. Stained glass window by Kempe, 1901. Remains of rood stair. South aisle has various C17, C18 and C19 wall plaques, piscina and alabaster effigies of William Lord Greystoke 1359 and John Lord Greystoke, 1436; also 4 C16 brasses originally in the chancel. 2 4-light flat-headed windows look into aisle from upper floor of priest's chamber. Interior of priest's chamber has piscina and C15 fireplace. Newel with squint. Hatchments of arias and C19 stained glass. 3-bay chancel has C14 stained glass reset in east window. Panelled oak chair stalls with misericords. Rood screen has some C15 woodwork. North tomb recess, south piscina and sedilia are 1848 restorations. Various inscribed shields set in north wall relate to the College of Greystoke; other C19 stained glass. (Listed Building Report)

Although heavily restored with little medieval fabric remaining Brooke writes this church may have been a defensive refuge for villagers. Gatehouse is quite sure that in times of trouble parishioners would seek refuge in their local church, wherever this was. This is far from the same as suggesting a parish church was 'fortified' or 'defensive'. Brooke does not cite any actual evidence that this church had any unusual features.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:32

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact