The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Ashridge palace

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Ashridge House

In the civil parish of Little Gaddesden.
In the historic county of Hertfordshire.
Modern Authority of Hertfordshire.
1974 county of Hertfordshire.
Medieval County of Hertfordshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP993123
Latitude 51.79949° Longitude -0.55986°

Ashridge palace has been described as a certain Palace.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Country house, now a management college. 1808-1814 by James Wyatt (d.1813) completed by his nephew Jeffry Wyatt (Sir Jeffry Wyattville after 1824) for 7th Earl of Bridgewater, sold 1921 and became The Bonar Law Memorial College, and after 1954 Ashridge Management College. The house incorporates remains of a College of Bonhommes founded 1283 which became a royal residence after its dissolution in 1539 until sold by Elizabeth in 1575 and acquired by Egerton family in 1604 (Listed Building Report)

The manor remained in the possession of the college until its suppression in 1538–9, and after the Dissolution became annexed to that of Little Gaddesden, (Pat. 5 Edw. VI, pt. 3, m. 27) with which it passed to Lord Ellesmere.
Edward VI and Elizabeth seem to have spent a considerable part of their childhood at Ashridge, (L. and P. Hen. VIII, xix (2), 726 and 794
) and Browne Willis states that Edward VI was nursed here. Todd suggests that the western avenue, which is called the Prince's Riding, may have taken its name from him (Todd 31). He and Elizabeth were living there in 1543, when Mary, their sister, was brought there for the benefit of her health. (Cusson 138) After the coronation of Mary, Elizabeth retired to Ashridge, (Cal. of S.P. Dom. 1547 80, pp. 29 and 60
) and was living there when she was arrested and summoned to London on the charge of being implicated in Wyatt's rebellion.
In a survey of Ashridge made in 1560, it is stated that though, since the first year of the reign of Elizabeth, £55 3s. 8d. had been expended in repairs, the house was still so far out of repair that 300 marks would not make it fit for the queen's residence. A good part of the building was falling down, 'namely the lodging that Master Treasurer lay in, which was accounted the fairest lodging of the house, next where the Queen's Highness lay.' (S.P. Dom. Eliz. xii, No. 38) (VCH)

College of Bonhommes obtained by Henry VIII in 1538 and converted into palace mainly used for a series of prolonged and frequent stays by all Henry's children. Some medieval fragments are said to remain in the C19 building now on the site.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:02

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact