The Gatehouse website logo
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Hanworth Manor

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Hanworth Palace

In the civil parish of Hounslow.
In the historic county of Middlesex.
Modern Authority of London Borough of Hounslow.
1974 county of Greater London.

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ11027167
Latitude 51.43330° Longitude -0.40488°

Hanworth Manor has been described as a probable Palace.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.

Description

The site of Hanworth House and Park, a royal residence of Henry VIII. It had belonged to the Crosby family before being acquired by Henry VII towards the end of his reign and officially became property of Henry VIII in 1515. The manor of Hanworth dates back to the 11th century, however there is no record of the park until the 16th century and it may have been created by either the Crosbys or Henry VIII. During Henry VIII's reign Hanworth became a royal seat and Henry spent much time there. In 1532 Henry VIII bestowed Hanworth on Anne Boleyn, soon to become his queen, and the residence was extensively decorated. After Anne Boleyn was executed in 1536 the house reverted back to the king but in 1544 the estate was given to Queen Catherine Parr who retained it until her death in 1548. In 1558 Queen Mary granted Hanworth House, Park and Manor to Anne Duchess of Somerset but it was not until 1627 when the freehold was relinquished and the house ceased being a royal residence. The new owner Lord Cottington largely rebuilt the house with stables and various garden houses and walls, but in 1797 the house was destroyed by fire and a subsequent house was built in a different location. Very little of the Tudor Hanworth house remains apart from a small stretch of moat and various architectural and decorative features which have been incorporated into later buildings. These include red brick vaults of former kitchen fireplaces, part of the garden wall and two terracotta roundels. These roundels are very similar to examples at Hampton Court Palace which were supplied to Cardinal Wolsey by Giovanni Di Maiano, and they may date to the time when Anne Boleyn was redecorating the house. Various 18th century garden houses and walls are all that remain of the later phases of the house. (PastScape)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤