The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Stansted, Sussex

In the civil parish of Stoughton.
In the historic county of Sussex.
Modern Authority of West Sussex.
1974 county of West Sussex.
Medieval County of Sussex (Rape of Chichester).

OS Map Grid Reference: SU76131032
Latitude 50.88729° Longitude -0.91908°

Stansted, Sussex has been described as a probable Palace, and also as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are no visible remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Royal hunting lodge, demolished and replaced by a house in 1686. The house was remodelled and enlarged in 1786 and circa 1840. It was destroyed by fire in 1900. The house was rebuilt in neo-Wren style in 1902. (PastScape)

The history of the manor, within which is included an extensive forest of very great beauty, dates back to the 13th century, when it was in possession of the noble family of de Albini, Earls of Arundel, who made it their occasional residence, entertaining there, in 1215, King John and his retinue. It remained part of the Arundel estates for more than centuries after, and as such descended to Lord Lumley, and from him to the Earls of Scarborough, who lived there till about the middle of the last century.
The mansion, as already stated, has undergone many changes. The earliest notice we can find of a manorial residence belongs to the year 1327 (20 Edw. II.), when it appears to have consisted of a hall, with a chapel and two chambers, a kitchen and one chamber over the gate. Judging from these facts it could scarcely be termed the principal residence of the Earls of Arundel, but was probably used by them as a hunting seat, for which it was well adapted by its proximity to an extensive forest. About the year 1480, it is said to have been rebuilt by Thomas, Lord Maltravers, upon whom it had been settled by his father, William, Earl of Arundel. No doubt the change it then underwent was similar to that effected in many of the feudal strongholds throughout England ; that is to say, it was converted into a castellated mansion, in which the comfort of the inmates rather than their defence was chiefly consulted. So far as we can learn it was quadrangular in form, having a turreted gateway for an entrance, and within an open courtyard and cloister. This building in its turn gave place to the far larger structure erected by Lord Scarborough in 1686, after the design of William Talman, the architect of Uppark, in Harting, which Stansted is said to have closely resembled.

Stansted was a demense manor of the Earls of Arundel, who evidently had a hunting lodge here in the twelfth century. When William, Earl of Arundel, died in 1176, his lands were taken into the king's hands, and in the following year Henry II spent ... (HKW)

Originally a demense manor of Earls of Arundel, held by the Crown from 1176 to c.1216 and used as occasional residence. £130 spent on new chamber and other works in 1180's. King's falconers were recorded as here in 1179 and 1181.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape           Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:02

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact