The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Weston-Sub-Edge manor of the bishop of Worcester

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;

In the civil parish of Weston Subedge.
In the historic county of Gloucestershire.
Modern Authority of Gloucestershire.
1974 county of Gloucestershire.
Medieval County of Gloucestershire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP125412
Latitude 52.06991° Longitude -1.81831°

Weston-Sub-Edge manor of the bishop of Worcester has been described as a Palace but is rejected as such.

There are no visible remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


Residential manor of the bishop of Worcester listed by Thompson. Payne writes 'According to the Listing, Latimer's, a house in the village is said to have once been the home of Hugh Latimer, Bishop of Worcester 1535-9, but there does not appear to have been a diocesan residence there.'

Large house, once formerly a coaching inn. C16; enlarged early C17. Limestone ashlar with stone slate roof. C17 wing added across end of C16 house to form T-plan; second C17 wing beyond; all two-storey with attic. Earlier house: parapet with 2 blocked ovolo moulded 3-light parapet windows and dormer windows behind; 4- centred arched doorway; alterations at north end; doorway with moulded flat stone hood on stone brackets on west side. Cross wing has gable chimney at east end with paired diagonal shafts; 2 small round-headed windows to left; at west gable end 2 12-light mullioned and transomed windows with cavetto moulding and hood. End wing has 2 and 3-light ovolo moulded mullioned windows and laternal chimney, again with paired diagonal shafts; finely carved coronet finials topped by fleur-de-lys decoration. Service wing to west has timber casement windows on north side; cross-roll saddles to gables. Chimneys have moulded caps. Attached screen wall with round arched opening incorporating imposts and keystone with date shield above: 1617 EB. C19 coach house beyond. Interior: much altered in C16 wing, but some timber framing visible; small raised upper floor stone fireplace survives. Late Jacobean stone fireplace and door screen in C17 wing; another carved stone fireplace with foliage decoration in adjacent room. Said once to have been the home of Bishop Latimer of Worcester. (Listed Building Report)

The Giffard family had a manor in Weston subedge. Geoffrey Giffard (1235?-1302), lord chancellor (1266-1268) and bishop of Worcester (1268-1301) was of this family and, according to Rudder, the family adopted the arms of the see of Worcester after his death. Presumably there was some confusion between bishops or a fanciful story was made up to explain a coat of arms on a reused over mantel or some such from a Giffard property.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:09

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact