The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Oxford Magdalen Bridge

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Petty Pont; East Bridge

In the civil parish of Oxford.
In the historic county of Oxfordshire.
Modern Authority of Oxfordshire.
1974 county of Oxfordshire.
Medieval County of Oxfordshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP52160608
Latitude 51.75120° Longitude -1.24628°

Oxford Magdalen Bridge has been described as a probable Fortified Bridge.

There are no visible remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Magdalen Bridge. There was a bridge across the river Cherwell as early as 1004. It was later known as Petty Pont, Eastbridge and finally Magdalen Bridge. There was a drawbridge at its eastern end in the late 14th century and it contained rounded and pointed arches of different sizes: by the 16th century the causeway and bridge was of stone, 1500ft long with 20 arches and deep cut waters. From 1321 bridge hermits repaired it. A new design by John Gwynn completely replaced it with semicircular arches between 1772 and 1778. (Steane 1997)

There was a bridge across the river Cherwell at the eastern entrance to the town by 1004. It was later known as Pettypont, East Bridge, and finally Magdalen Bridge. By the 16th century the bridge or causeway was of stone, approximately 500 feet long with some 20 arches and deep cutwaters. There was a drawbridge at its eastern end in the late 14th century, and a wooden arch in 1585. The bridge contained both pointed and rounded arches of differing sizes and although its overall appearance was late-medieval it evidently included work of several different periods. Most known bequests for its repair date from the 14th century, and there were pontage grants in 1328 and 1376; but the bridge was apparently in satisfactory condition for much of the 16th century, which suggests that there may have been a major, unrecorded restoration in the 15th century. Hearne believed that Bishop William Waynflete was responsible, but cited no evidence. Houses apparently stood upon the bridge in the 13th century, but had been removed by 1578; others, built early in the 17th century, were removed in 1634 after complaints from the university.
The bridge straddled the town boundary where it crossed the eastern branch of the river Cherwell and in the Middle Ages responsibility for its upkeep was divided between town and county, the county accepting only a quarter share. The town relied heavily on alms and bequests, and from at least 1321 appointed bridge-hermits. By 1571 the city was financing repairs by a combination of parochial taxation and a levy on senior councillors and despite the 16th century Mileways Acts continued to pay for repairs out of municipal funds or private charity. In 1665, when part of the bridge collapsed, the city's responsibility for its repair was confirmed by a judgement in the county assizes. In 1723, however, the university carried out major repairs voluntarily: several large round arches may date from that restoration. Nothing was done about the cluster of houses channelling the London and Henley roads into an inconvenient passage only 13 ft. wide at the eastern entrance to the bridge. In 1771 the bridge was declared dangerous, some of its piers having been swept away by floods, and the Oxford Improvement Act of that year included provision for the bridge's reconstruction. The bridge collapsed at its western end shortly afterwards. Milham Bridge was used as a relief route during the rebuilding, between 1772 and 1778. The new bridge, designed by John Gwynn, included three large semicircular arches over each branch of the river, two smaller ones over the towpaths, and a single arch with panelled bays where the bridge crossed the central island. It was 27 ft. wide with large central recesses. Plans for a richly ornamented balustrade were later modified and the present plain design by John Townsend adopted. The western channel of the river was deepened to lessen the danger of flooding, properties built on the island since the bridge's reconstruction in 1723 were demolished, and Gwynn's plans also called for the removal of properties in St. Clement's and of the Professor of Botany's house in the Physic Garden to accommodate the sweeps at each end of the bridge. There was strong opposition to the proposals, and although the rest of the work on the bridge and its approaches was completed by 1782 it was only in 1790 that the vice-chancellor agreed to the removal of the professor's house. The bridge was widened in 1835 and again in 1882, but care was taken to ensure that its appearance should otherwise remain unchanged. (VCH)

The drawbridge at the east end could have been defensive and/or may have been to allow masted vessels to travel upstream at a time before modern demands for water reduced the flow and size of all English rivers. However there was a cattle ford beside the bridge so the Cherwell was not a deep river at this point. Certainly the Cherwell is not the river it once was and the tradition of jumping off the Magdalen Bridge to celebrate May Day is now dangerous and actively prevented. However, it seems unlikely this modern conflict between town and gown will result in the foundation of a new university.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:07

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact