The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Whitehall, Allhallows

In the civil parish of Allhallows.
In the historic county of Cumberland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Cumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY20154160
Latitude 54.76297° Longitude -3.24220°

Whitehall, Allhallows has been described as a certain Pele Tower.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Tower house of 14th or 15th century date, altered in 1589 and restored in 1861. Three storey, battlemented tower with two storey hall range to the right. The building was extended to the left some time between 1861 and 1907 but this addition was demolished in 1962. The house was sold to the County Council after World War II and used for demolition training during the 1960s. Now in private ownership. (PastScape)

Tower house now private house. Partly C14 and C15 with alterations dated and inscribed on stone under coat-of-arms LANCELOTUS SALKELD FILIUS THOMAE SALKELD HOC FIERI FECIT 1589; further alterations by Anthony Salvin dated and inscribed on rainwater heads GM 1861 (George Moore). Extremely thick walls of mixed red and calciferous sandstone rubble, partly squared and coursed, under battlemented parapet and angle turret with flush quoins. Tower has graduated greenslate roof between parapets; hall range under graduated greenslate roof with coped gable and ball finials; stone chimney stacks. 3-storey, 2-bay tower with 2-storey, 3-bay hall range to right, which by the coursing of the stone appears contemporary with the tower. C19 plank door under C19 Tudor arch inscribed (by George Moore) LET IT PLEASE THEE TO BLESS THE HOUSE OF THY SERVANT, with original C16 hoodmould inscribed TS on label stops. 2-light Tudor style windows are partly C16, but some are completely C19. Small carved stone coat-of-arms built into wall at first floor level. Projection to left linked with 1861-1907 extension, (demolished 1962 leaving only foundation courses). Window to left is in C19 blocked first-floor doorway to extension. Hall has C19 ground floor windows. Central blocked C16 doorway above, has hoodmould with coat-of-arms label stops. Original 3-light Tudor window to left under hoodmould with T.S. label stops. End wall right has small C16 carved-stone coat-of-arms. Rear wall of Tower has blocked ground-floor Tudor window. Small chamfered-surround window to left and blocked openings above originally lit newel staircase. All other windows are C19 Tudor style. C19 uninscribed panel at first floor level. Rear wall of hall has C15 chamfered-surround ground floor window with 3-light Tudor window above under hoodmould. Interior of tower has extensive C19 alterations. Newel staircase from second floor to parapet, was originally from ground floor and continued up into turret. Ground floor of hall has fireplace dated and inscribed W. & L. P.M. (Parkin-Moore) 1900. Upper floor room has Tudor-style stone fireplace and panelled plaster ceiling inscribed on central cartouche G. & A.M. Was in Salkeld hands until 1746 when it fell into ruins. Restored by George Moore after purchase in 1858. Sold to County Council after World War II, who passed it to the Civil Defence Corps for demolition training in 1960's. Sold by Council and now owned by the original owners Parkin-Moore. (Listed Building Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:53

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact