The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Bauzans Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Breigan Castle; Brigam; Brigan

In the community of Penllyn.
In the historic county of Glamorgan.
Modern authority of Vale of Glamorgan.
Preserved county of South Glamorgan.

Bauzans Castle has been described as a probable Timber Castle, and also as a probable Masonry Castle.

There are uncertain remains.


Spurgeon writes tradition of castle of Stephan Bauzan in Breigan (Brigam) can not be dismissed. Stephan obtained Llansannor and Breigan in 1248 and as a prominent follower of Earl Richard Marshall may have built a castle there. This is claimed to be either Gelli Garn, at SS98207962 or Breigam Farm, at SS99457984; Spurgeon rejects both of these site but offers no alternative. The obvious site for such a castle would be near Llansannor church presumably the site now occupied by Llansannor Court at SS993774, however Spurgeon does cite evidence for another house in 'Brigan' which is more likely to be Brigam Farm (where there is a suggestion of a circular moat on the 1885 OS map) rather than the isolated and inconvenient Gelli Garn. Lewis writes "Llansannor House, formerly the residence of the lord of the manor, and Brigam, are both now in a greatly dilapidated condition, and in the occupation of tenants; near the latter are the remains of an old castle, which was of some note in this part of the county"
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Maps >
Data/Maps > 
Air Photos > 
Photos >
CastleFacts       Flickr          

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.

This record last updated before 1 February 2016