The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Beverley Town Defences

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
North Bar; Norwood Bar; Newbegin Bar; Eastgate Bar; Keldgate Bar

In the civil parish of Beverley.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of East Riding of Yorkshire.
1974 county of Humberside.
Medieval County of Yorkshire East Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: TA03013988
Latitude 53.84493° Longitude -0.43590°

Beverley Town Defences has been described as a certain Urban Defence.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


C14 town had ditch and earth ramparts and five masonry gates. North Bar survives, although rebuilt in brick in 1409. No murage grants, but town petition to parliament after Scots raid in 1321, indicates desire to wall town.

The North Bar was built in 1409 at a cost of £96 0s 11 d. 2 storeys in brick with room over archway. North face shows buttresses framing a depressed pointed arch over which is a late C17 cartouche of arms in carved stone. 2 blind niches and 1 window have trefoil heads and label moulds with finials. Under the embattled parapet is a cogged string course. South face, main opening has label mould. 3 trefoil arches are grouped inside the strings arranged gablewise surmounted by finial. 3 brick shields. 2 small modern windows. Cogged string and embattled parapet lined in by a pilaster strip on corbels. Interior of main opening has plain brick vault to contour of arch. Rib vaulted in 2 bays with single chamfered brick ribs and portcullis groove. 2 modern side openings outside the original building for pedestrians. The house is of early C18 origin, refronted by William Hawe in 1866, attached to the Bar on the east. 2 storeys in stuccoed brick with moulded egg and dart architraves to windows. Band. Deeply moulded eaves cornice. Parapet with vase-shaped balusters of square plan. Giant pilasters framing each elevation, with urns on the parapet above. 1:2 windows on east face, 4 on north, 3 on west. Front door on each side has wood case with 2 reeded attached Doric columns, 2 side lights, fanlight, 6-panel door and entablature broken over columns. Plain tile roof. Tower with 4 round-arched windows has slated roof and delicate cast iron balustrade. Some of the interior features date from William Middleton's alterations of c.1793-4 including a chimneypiece with cast 'Adam' ornament. Staircase apparently C19, probably replacing the principal C18 one, as it has early C18 wainscot with moulded panels to dado height, as does the hall. The stair which was formerly the back stair to the two houses when one, is C18, altered; closed string, plain newels, moulded handrail, and the lower flight has C19 flat-cut ornamented balusters. Nearly all door frames have early C19 reeded architraves. (Listed Building Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:01

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact