The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Old Hollinside

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Hollinside Hall, Old Hollingside

In the civil parish of Whickham.
In the historic county of Durham.
Modern Authority of Gateshead.
1974 county of Tyne and Wear.
Medieval County of County Palatinate of Durham.

OS Map Grid Reference: NZ18555992
Latitude 54.93362° Longitude -1.71201°

Old Hollinside has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Old Hollinside is a well-preserved example of a medieval fortified hall house in a prominent position and will provide evidence on the evolution of fortified medieval complexes. The monument has an association with a number of well-known historical families.
The monument includes the medieval fortified house, which is known as Old Hollinside. It is situated on the crest of a north facing steep slope above the Derwent valley and 150m south west of the modern farm of Hollinside. The remains, the standing parts of which are Listed Grade I, include a ruined fortified hall house, an attached wing to the north east and associated earthworks. The hall house was constructed in several phases, dating from the late 13th century to around 1400. The hall house is orientated north east to south west along its long axis. It is of sandstone construction, measures 16m by 11m with a turret in its western corner. To the exterior, the majority of the walls stand to a height of 6m, although on the south eastern elevation they survive to a height of approximately 9m-10m. All four elevations are constructed of roughly coursed sandstone blocks, with squared sandstone blocks above first floor level on the south west and north west sides. There are a number of window openings on each side and on the south west elevation two corbels at second floor level are believed to have supported an oriel window. The main doorway into the hall is on the south east side. It is set in a recess between two shallow projecting wings which later was subdivided by a screen wall to form a lobby in front of the original entrance. The space between the wings was roofed over by a spring vault carrying a tower. Above the doorway there is a hollow, believed to have carried a coat of arms stone. Internally the house can be divided into five parts, the lobby, a hall, a south wing, an east wing and the western turret. The walls have some plaster on them and the remains of an inserted fireplace survive at first floor level. The first floor of the house was carried on a set back running the length of the north west wall and on beams that fitted into sockets, four of which survive. The north east wing of the house is an'L' shaped structure, which extends to the north east and east. It is constructed of tabular sandstone blocks and its eastern arm survives to a height of about 2m. The northern side of the wing is not upstanding but survives as an earthwork with sections of walling evident on its surface. Earthworks can be seen to the north east, south east and south west of the hall house, and additional earthworks are recorded on the first edition 1:2500 Ordnance Survey map and on tithe maps. The earthworks include a remnant field boundary and two banks that correspond with a 35m square enclosure indicated on the Ordnance Survey map to the south east of the hall. On the south east side of this enclosure a gatehouse was shown measuring 20m by 10m, which was the main access to the house. The gatehouse is depicted as a roofed structure on tithe maps of 1767 and 1803. The 1767 tithe map also depicts an undefined structure to the north east of the house, which is interpreted as a courtyard and is included in the scheduling. The Ordnance Survey map shows earthwork field boundaries and marks 'foundations' in the area between Old Hollinside and Hollinside Farm. A sample of this area is also included in the scheduling. The first reference to the monument is in 1317 when Thomas de Hollinside granted his manor of Hollinside to William de Boineton of Newcastle and Isolda, his wife. The property was owned by the Hardings from the 15th century until the 18th century, when it became part of the Gibside estate of the Bowes family. The monument was consolidated in the mid-1970s and in the early 1980s. (Scheduling Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:09

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact