The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Calshot Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Caldshore; Calshott; Cawshot; Calste Point

In the civil parish of Fawley.
In the historic county of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.
Modern Authority of Hampshire.
1974 county of Hampshire.
Medieval County of Hampshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SU48880249
Latitude 50.81986° Longitude -1.30751°

Calshot Castle has been described as a certain Artillery Fort.

There are major building remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Calshot Castle is a well preserved example of its class within which, despite later alterations, all elements of the original structure have survived in a recognisable form. The alterations, carried out from the 18th century onwards, demonstrate the continuing importance of Calshot in the defence of Southampton Water over a period of 400 years. Situated in a prominent position on Calshot Spit the castle is an important landmark and is open to the public.
The monument includes Calshot Castle, a mid 16th century stone built artillery castle with 18th and 19th century alterations, lying on Calshot Spit on the southern shore of Southampton Water. The precise and symmetrical plan of the castle centres on a three storey gun tower or keep, separated from the surrounding curtain wall by a courtyard within which lie both accommodation buildings and later searchlight emplacements. The buildings of the castle are surrounded by a shallow stone-lined moat beyond which, on the seaward side, lie a stone-paved counterscarp and stone sea defences. The keep is approximately 16m in external diameter, but only 8m internally. The lower storey is octagonal in plan, but the upper two floors, while retaining an octagonal interior plan, are cylindrical on the outside. The external appearance of the upper part of the tower differs from the original only in having the parapet on the roof altered in the 18th century and concrete gun emplacements added in 1907. The 18th century alterations involved the replacement of the curved parapets with their embrasures for heavy guns with an unbroken parapet designed to protect troops. In 1907 the parapet was further modified on its east side by the addition of mass concrete to form emplacements for two 12 pounder guns. Internally the keep is divided into three levels below the roof. The basement may originally have been vaulted although, due to considerable alterations, little is known of its original form. In 1896 the installation of generators and other equipment for Defence Electric Lights (searchlights) necessitated the construction of a protective concrete ceiling. The basement was lined with brick and possibly deepened at this time while new access was provided from courtyard level. That from the first floor was blocked. In 1907 the generators were removed and the basement was converted to a cartridge and shell magazine by the insertion of a brick cross wall with lamp niches and an ammunition hoist, now removed. The modification of the basement ceiling resulted in the floor level of the first floor being lowered by 2 feet (0.6m). At this time the first floor, which retains its 16th century outline and the remains of an original fireplace, was converted to a barrack room. The second floor has also been considerably altered, although its walls are largely Tudor and incorporate the remains of two fireplaces and a garderobe. This level once carried heavy guns firing through large embrasures but was also converted into a barrack room in the late 19th century. The ceiling was subsequently strengthened to help support the newly installed roof battery. Traces of the ammunition hoist which ran from the basement to the roof can be seen in all floors and ceilings throughout the keep. The courtyard is enclosed by a 16-sided curtain wall with a flared apron sloping into the moat. Formerly 15 of the sides possessed embrasures through which the courtyard guns fired and above which was a deep parapet shielding the wall walk behind. The 16th side was occupied by the gatehouse. In c.1770 the majority of the curtain wall was lowered to its present height and the gatehouse was extended, preserving the original embrasures on either side of the entrance. On the north side of the courtyard is a long concrete building constructed c.1896 to hold three searchlights (Defence Electric Lights). Three of the Tudor embrasures were cut back at this time to provide a better arc for the searchlights and a further embrasure is blocked to each side of the three. The gatehouse in its original form is shown by an early 18th century engraving to have been a simple two storey structure, probably with a single room above the gate passage. The gatehouse was flanked by a gun embrasure at first floor level on its western side and its roof also had provision for guns. The gate passage is approached from over the moat by a 19th century fixed metal-framed bridge; a replacement for the wooden structure shown on early 18th century engravings. The grooves for the portcullis which originally protected the gate passage can still be seen. In c.1770 the gatehouse was heightened and widened to provide better accommodation for the governor. The section added to the top of the original gatehouse has one small window while the flanking additions have none. The accommodation thus provided has been extensively altered internally. Alterations carried out in 1896 included the provision of a guardroom and cell on the west side of the gate together with the construction of a brick cookhouse, storerooms and latrines on the south end of the gatehouse. The stone-lined moat which lies beyond the curtain wall is 16-sided, 2.6 deep and 8.8m wide. Beyond the moat on the seaward side, to the north, east and south east, is a counterscarp, paved with stone and gently-sloping. Stone sea defences are also provided on the east side of the castle. The precise extent of these features is uncertain as they are now buried by shingle accumulations. Calshot Castle was constructed as part of a chain of coastal fortifications built to protect vulnerable points in the event of a French invasion. Calshot Spit dominates the shipping route to Southampton as the deep water channel runs close to shore at this point. The major construction work was carried out in 1539 and 1540, most probably using building stone from Netley or Beaulieu Abbey. Documentary evidence records that the lead for the roof came from Beaulieu. By the end of the 1540s Calshot was one of the most heavily armed of the Solent fortresses, with a total of 36 guns, though this had fallen to ten serviceable guns by 1559. In 1584 Queen Elizabeth's government devoted funds to the repair of several of the Solent defences as part of its precautions against a possible invasion from Spain or the Netherlands. Calshot by this time had suffered a disastrous fire which had gutted the keep and timber repairs required 127 trees from the New Forest. The strategic importance of Calshot ensured its survival during the Civil War when neighbouring castles at St Andrew's and Netley were disabled. During the War of Spanish Succession (1702-13) it was equipped with a maximum of 25 guns but this was reduced to 13 by 1725. The first significant alteration of the Tudor fabric, which took place in 1774, preceded several complaints about old and defective guns. In the late 19th century searchlights, or Defence Electric Lights, were installed at Calshot to be used in conjunction with a quick fire gun battery which was built to the south east of the castle and completed in 1897. Nothing now survives of this battery and it has not been included within the scheduling. Generators powered by oil engines were installed in the basement of the keep while the two floors above resumed their role as barrack accommodation. The interior of the gatehouse was extensively altered between September 1896 and November 1896. In 1907 Calshot Castle underwent its last major modification as a fortress. The roof of the keep was strengthened to permit the installation of a pair of quick fire guns to augment the adjacent battery. The searchlight generators were removed from the basement which was converted to a cartridge and shell store, linked to the roof by a hoist in the centre of the keep. Calshot and its adjacent battery were stripped of their weapons before the end of the World War I. However, in 1940, two quick fire guns were remounted on the roof of the castle and six searchlights installed. In its final period of active service, Calshot Castle, together with Bungalow Battery on the north shore of Southampton Water and Stone Point Battery some 3 miles to the south west, formed part of Calshot Fire Command. In 1953 Calshot air station was transferred to Maintenance Command before finally being closed. Calshot Castle is Listed Grade 2star and is in the care of the Secretary of State. (Scheduling Report)

Castle. 1538-41 for Henry VIII's coastal defences, altered C18, 1868-71 and C20, twice restored by DoE 1985. Dressed squared Portland stone, brick and old plain tile roofed addition. Plan of circular moat around circular island with wall around edge, raised to 3 storeys on one quadrant, for gate house. In centre of island 3 storey keep tower. Both sides of moat faced in dressed stone, with moulded coping. On inner side wall rises from coping with open-topped embrasure. The 3 storey quadrant has slightly projecting full-height gatehouse. C20 bridge stands in front of recessed 2 deep order pointed archway with double doors. Each side pilaster with impost to chevron hood. Panel over, framed by pilasters with early Renaissance decoration. Each side loopholes. 3rd floor heavy moulded string course, that wall originally coping before wall was raised in C18. In centre, cutting string is 12-pane sash. Either side of gateway are embrasures now fitted with 2-light casements and heavy moulded string course at head of gateway level. Central keep tower has only pointed doorway on ground floor. Moulded 1st floor string. On 1st floor tall embrasures with 12-pane sashes. 2nd floor raised band. On 1st floor wider embrasures with 12-pane sashes, set slightly off-centre to those on 1st floor. Moulded cornice to tall parapet that has additional floor behind it. (Listed Building Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:07

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact