The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Nurstead Court, Meopham

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Nutstead; Nurstead Manor; Nursestead; Nutsted

In the civil parish of Meopham.
In the historic county of Kent.
Modern Authority of Kent.
1974 county of Kent.
Medieval County of Kent.

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ64006853
Latitude 51.39244° Longitude 0.35660°

Nurstead Court, Meopham has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Circa 1320 by Bishop Stephen de Gravesend. An aisled timber hall of 4 bays which survived complete until 1825 when half was pulled down and replaced by a stuccoed brick villa. This was "tudorised" in 1850 with gables and one bay added and faced in recently invented Portland Cement. At north-west corner C13 ruins of building of unknown purpose of flint and chalk in chequers. The hall is enclosed by an 11 ft high wall of knapped flint with dressings of Caen stone. The tiled roof is supported on 21 in diameter oak columns carrying deeply moulded curved braces to aisle purlins and to cambered beam which supports a squat crown post. This is braced to short collars and the medial purlin. Mouldings stopped with leaf carvings as on the capitals. One remaining gabled dormer window trannioned in stone. Dais at west end. Chamber on first floor. Library has early C19 "Gothick" bookcases. Semi-circular stair also C19. (Listed Building Report)

Part of an early 14th century aisled hall house, incorporated into an early 19th century villa. The medieval house comprised a two-bay open hall flanked by open single-bay ends, with the service end to the east. This bay, along with half of the open hall, was demolished in the 1820s and replaced by a brick-built, stuccoed house which was 'Tudorized' in 1850. Within the external stone walls the 14th century house is entirely timber framed, with a crown post roof supported on oak columns. Tree ring dating suggests that the timbers used were probably felled circa 1314. A ruinous stone structure attached to the north west corner of the medieval house has been shown to pre-date the hall range though the exact date and function of this structure are unclear. It is thought that a detached kitchen block stood east of the house and further buildings, possibly medieval in date, stood to the north. (PastScape summary based mainly on Cherry, 1989)

Discovery of massive stone foundations to the north of the present house, while the cellars which extend to the north could well have originated as the semi-basement storage vaults of a C13 fortified manor. Rebuilt c. 1320 by Bishop (of London) Stephen de Gravesend, but was a family manor not a diocesan manor. Has history dating back to Saxon times.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:19:31

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact