The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Selling Perry Wood

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Perrywood; Pulpit

In the civil parish of Selling.
In the historic county of Kent.
Modern Authority of Kent.
1974 county of Kent.
Medieval County of Kent.

OS Map Grid Reference: TR04155542
Latitude 51.26144° Longitude 0.92615°

Selling Perry Wood has been described as a Timber Castle although is doubtful that it was such.

There are earthwork remains.


Mound which has been suggested as site of motte but King writes most likely a millstead.

An earthwork around Shottenden Mill, 0.75 miles south of Selling, was surveyed in 1878 by Petrie whose plan bears a resemblance to the O.S. 6" survey of 1955 and shows a sub-rectangular earthwork consisting of a ditch between two banks round the top of a hill. Crawford noted that the windmill had vanished when he visited the site (O G S Crawford 10 5 1925). The greater part of this earthwork is totally obscured by fir trees. The feature where accessible on the S.E. side is reduced to a terrace on the hillside. Turning northwards it develops into a medial ditch with low banks. There is no trace of the windmill (F1 ASP 24-MAY-63). A windmill standing on Shottenden Hill was formerly a well-known landmark. A telegraph station, sometimes known as Old Wives' Lees, part of the Deal line of the Admiralty Shutter telegraph system c. 1796, was also sited on the hill. A letter to the Gentleman's Magazine in 1796 described the situation of the telegraph station and added that the Romans used the hill as an encampment. He included sketches of the site showing the Roman ditch around the land containing the windmill and the telegraph (Wilson). (PastScape)

the plain remains of an antient camp, the intrenchments of which inclose about an acre and three-quarters of ground. (Hasted)

Selling: Perry Wood. A ' camp ' hill is mentioned in Petrie's list, and local tradition recalls it, but now the only earthwork visible in this wood is a circular mount with slight fosse round, very like the work at Wouldham, the mount rising 12 to 15 ft. in height. In old time it may have been a small, defended look-out, as it is in a position suited for the purpose, but in modern days has been converted into what is locally known as the ' Pulpit,' by the erection of a wooden structure on its summit. (VCH)

Clearly not a manorial centre but also earthworks of something more than a mill. Hasted was writing before the construction of the Admiralty station so the earthwork predates that. The earthworks may have been damaged by that construction and the description in the VCH is significantly different from Hasted's of only a 150 or so years before (It may be that the VCH is describing another, nearby site). Hasted called it a Roman summer camp but a more probably origin is an Iron Age enclosure. Medieval origin can be dismissed and medieval use seems unlikely.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:19:30

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact