GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

West Derby Castle

In the civil parish of Liverpool.
In the historic county of Lancashire.
Modern Authority of Liverpool.
1974 county of Merseyside.
Medieval County of Lancashire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SJ39709348
Latitude 53.43454° Longitude -2.90887°

West Derby Castle has been described as a certain Timber Castle.

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.

Description

Only faint traces remain of the once important little castle. A circular depression marks the site of the moat around the castle mount. To the SW a contiguous elevated area is the interior of the bailey, which is encircled by a depression some 2 to 3 feet deep which is the course of the fosse. Circa 1817 the Lord of the Manor Mr Gascoigne, had the castle mount and bailey levelled by filling in the fosses; but their positions are still discernible. The Castle fell into disuse about the middle of the 13th century and never attained walls of masonry, and was probably only in use for some 180 to 190 years (VCH). The Castle site was excavated by Professor J P Droop in July-August 1927. Trenches were dug across the dividing ditch between the motte and bailey and across the bailey ditch. The first trench revealed that the dividing ditch was in fact two 'V' shaped ditches with a central 'island'. The other ditch showed that the banks on the sides of the bailey ditch had been artificially raised. Also a 3m 'square' oak beam framework was uncovered at the bottom of the ditch. S E Rigold in discussing the excavation identifies the oakbeam structure as a short bridge at the entrance across the bailey (Droop, 1928; Rigold 1975). Excavations on the site of West Derby motte and bailey revealed a substantial shallow negative feature running E-W, at least 26m long and 8m wide, this may have been associated with the motte ditch or an early mill site. In the 14th or 15th century a house with hearth and partition, remodelled with a stone fireplace or ?chimney, was built over the infilled ditch (Gainster, 1990). West Derby motte and bailey castle. Built c1100 AD by Roger de Poitou and subjected to repairs in 1197 and 1202. Between 1199 and 1216 it was known to have been defended by 140 footman and 10 knights and crossbowmen. Between 1218 and 1227 considerable expenditure was incurred by repairs to the drawbridge and garrison quarters in the bailey. The castle was abandoned by 1297 and levelled in 1817. (PastScape)

Despite the monument's present levelled appearance, the base of the motte, the bailey and enclosing moats at West Derby castle remain reasonably well preserved. Limited excavations have confirmed that significant archaeological remains survive at the site. These include ditches and an outer rampart around the bailey. The excellent survival of waterlogged material, including major timbers, in and adjacent to the moats are especially noteworthy. Further similar remains will survive across the monument.
The monument is the motte and bailey castle at West Derby. The site includes a flat open area bounded on all sides by roads. Within this open area lie the buried remains of the castle which include the western half of the motte, the bailey, a double ditch separating the motte and bailey, the outer ditch flanking the bailey, and remains of an outer rampart. The remainder of the motte and surrounding ditch originally lay to the northeast of the scheduled monument in the area crossed by Parkside Drive and the houses and gardens beyond this. This area is not, however, included in the scheduling as the extent of survival of archaeological remains here, if any, is uncertain. The monument was built by the Norman baron Roger de Poitou about 1100 and was subjected to repairs in 1197 and 1202. Between 1199 and 1216 it was known to be defended by 140 footman and 10 knights and crossbowmen. Between 1218 and 1227 considerable expenditure was incurred by repairs to the drawbridge and garrison quarters in the bailey. The castle had been abandoned by 1297 and the site levelled in 1817. Limited excavation of the monument in 1927 located well preserved timbers in the outer ditch that were interpreted as the drawbridge supports. Late 13th-14th century pottery, metal, leather and horn or bone was also recovered. Further limited excavation in 1956 and 1957 located in situ timber consistent with the position of a palisade around the bailey. Well-preserved organic material was also encountered in the ditches between the motte and bailey. (Scheduling Report)
Comments

The Pipe Rolls of 1213 records a garrison in West Derby castle of 140 foot soldiers, 10 Knights and 10 Crossbow men. This seems an exceptionally large garrison for a small castle, although this was the centre for the Hundred of West Derby and, perhaps, some of these troops were stationed elsewhere in the Hundred. However it may also be that this payment was for the costs of upkeep of these troops staying at the castle whilst awaiting military service in Wales or Ireland.
The castle was superseded by Liverpool Castle in the C13.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤