The Gatehouse website logo
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Addington Castle Hill

In the civil parish of Croydon.
In the historic county of Surrey.
Modern Authority of London Borough of Croydon.
1974 county of Greater London.

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ37046414
Latitude 51.35981° Longitude -0.03310°

Addington Castle Hill has been described as a Palace although is doubtful that it was such, and also as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are no visible remains.

Description

Traditional site of Addington Castle; the manorial residence of Sir Rovert de Aguillion at Castle Hill, Addington; for which licence to embattle was granted in 1270. It had apparently fallen into decay by c. 1400 and rubble was visible temp. Elizabeth I. Ploughing has revealed "timbers and other remains of ruined buildings "and worked flints have also been found. Neither defensive earthworks nor signs of a building can be traced - possibly the building was in Addington village itself Castle Hill is a prominent rise of ground at the north end of a ridge, being a Thanet Sand outline upon chalk. The hill is covered with trees and scrub. Numerous shallow pits dug by children all over the summit reveal only pure sand. (PastScape 404156 (TQ 36 SE 21) at map ref TQ386635)

TQ 3724 6371. Signs of earthworks in the S.W. corner of "Church Meadow" possibly indicate the site of Addington Castle, the licence for the embattlement of which was granted in 1270. But see also TQ 36 SE 21 for its traditional site. Coarse 13-14th C. pottery found by Hore & R.I. Little. These earthworks are the positive/negative lynchets of old field boundaries. The soil is clay with flints and the system is therefore probably of Md. date. The lynchets can be traced south and west of Church Meadow giving an area centred at TQ 372 636. (PastScape 404129 (TQ 36 SE 12))

The park at Addington Palace is the traditional site of a hunting lodge, but there is no evidence to suggest that one existed here prior to the present park being laid out. (PastScape 404111 at map ref TQ37046414)

Eastward from Croiden standeth Addington, now the habitation of Sir Oliff Leigh, wherby is to be seene the ruble of a Castle of Sir Robert Aguilon, and from him of the Lords Bardolph, who held certaine lands here in fee by Serjainty to find in the Kings Kitchen at the coronation one to make a dainty dish which they called mapigernoun and dilgerunt. What that was I leave to the skillfull in ancient Cookerie, and returne to the river. (Camden)

Sir Robert Aguillon, had a licence to fortify and embattle his manor house at Addington. A spot of ground near the church, being still called the Castle Hill, serves to ascertain the site of this mansion, which, most probably, continued to be the manerial residence till the year 1400, when the manor house, which was pulled down about twelve years ago, (and which was situated at the foot of the hill,) was erected; as appears by the following inscription which was over the door: In fourteen hundred and none, Here was neither stick nor stone, In fourteen hundred and three The goodly building which you see. This house was built chiefly of flint, mixed with chalk, and very strongly cemented. (Lysons)

The 'Castle Hill' at TQ386635 is hardly 'near the church' and may well not be the same site as the Castle Hill mentioned by Camden and Lysons. (Was this hill actually just part of the demense of the manor?). However, there are elderly records of 'timbers' being revealed by ploughing at this site. TQ37046414 is marked 'henry VIIIths hunting seat' on the 1871 OS map. This is near the church. There is no evidence to support a royal hunting lodge at Addington but the location is consistent with a manorial centre and it seems probably this was the location of Aguilon's house. The account that a house licenced in 1269 and, presumably, built around this time had entirely disappeared by 1400 suggests the house was not strongly fortified.

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1269 Nov 22 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated on Saturday, July 26, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤