The Gatehouse website logo
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Savoy Palace

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Peter of Savoys House; le Sauvey; Saveye; Savoye

In the civil parish of City Of Westminster.
In the historic county of Middlesex.
Modern Authority of London Borough of Westminster.
1974 county of Greater London.

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ305807
Latitude 51.50971° Longitude -0.12004°

Savoy Palace has been described as a certain Palace.

There are no visible remains.

Description

Embattled palace licensed 1293, sacked by rebels in 1381. Survived until 1820. Site now occupied by Savoy Hotel.

The Savoy, so named of Peter Earle of Savoy, who there dwelt, which Queene Aeleonor wife to King Henrie the Third purchased of the fraternity of Mont-joy, and gave it to her sonne Edmund Earle of Lancaster. Whose posterity dwelt in it a long time untill that King Henrie the Seaventh dedicated it as an hospitall for the poore. (Camden)

1246 land of Brian de l'aisle granted to Peter of Savoy to build a palace. 1381 badly damaged due to the unpopularity of the then owner John of Gaunt and the site neglected. It came to the crown as part of the estate of the duchy of lancaster & was then put to various uses, including a prison. little is known of the buildings but there was a great hall, stables, chapel, cloister, river gate, garden & fish ponds. Site later rebuilt as hospital of St John (see 081295). it is possible that elements of the original palace may have survived into the 18th century and that the precinct was walled (it received a licence to crenelate in 1293). (Greater London HER)

The Savoy Palace was licensed in 1293 to be crenellated by Edmund of Lancaster, perhaps inaugurating a fashion in and around the city. Its 'houses, walls and enclosures' are mentioned in 1324. Henry of Lancaster's inquisition post mortem (1362) shows it comprised nine shops and 'the messuage called the "Saveye" '. This 'manor' was burned in the 1381 insurrection. (Coulson, 1982)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1293 June 21 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
    County HER            
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated on Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤