The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

John of Gaunts Castle, Haverah Park

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Haywra; Heywra; Haywrocastell; Skargill; Skirgill; Scargill

In the civil parish of Haverah Park.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of North Yorkshire.
1974 county of North Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire West Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE21965455
Latitude 53.98644° Longitude -1.66673°

John of Gaunts Castle, Haverah Park has been described as a probable Palace, and also as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry footings remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.


The medieval royal hunting lodge known as John of Gaunt's Castle, immediately north west of Haverah Park Top survives well and significant evidence of the domestic arrangements within the lodge will be preserved. It served as a royal residence when the king was hunting in the forest and as an administrative centre when the royal party was within the park. The lodge will contain important information about the workings of royal and high status buildings as well as the nature and development of deer parks. The monument includes the standing ruins, earthworks and buried remains of a royal hunting lodge known as John of Gaunt's Castle. The monument is situated on a spur of land projecting north into the valley now occupied by the Beaver Dyke reservoirs. The monument was a royal hunting lodge for the medieval park of Haverah lying within the Forest of Knaresborough. It would serve as a royal residence and administrative centre when the king was hunting in the forest. The first reference to the lodge was in 1333 when substantial repairs were carried out to what was an already established building. Haverah Park was created in the late 12th century and the lodge may date to this time. The 1333 repairs also included the construction of a moat. The lodge was in the king's hands until 1372 when it was acquired by John of Gaunt. The hunting lodge took the form of a stone tower standing on a square- shaped platform surrounded by a moat with a large outer bank. The tower no longer stands, but the foundations for it survive as prominent earthworks. Records from 1333 show that the building had a chapel, a hall and a queen's chamber and was roofed with lead. Remains of a shallow ditch 2m wide, surround the base of the tower. At the southern edge of the platform are the remains of a gatehouse. This was a stone structure built across the north end of a causeway spanning the moat. Two sections of masonry from the gatehouse still survive up to 3m high. The moat surrounding the platform is 4m wide and 2m deep. The east and west outer banks are substantial, measuring 12m in width with steep sides up to 2m high. At the north there is only a low outer bank grading into the natural fall of the land. At the south side there is a wide flat topped bank with a short slope to the rear. The inner faces of the moat were revetted with stone, one section of which is exposed within the south east angle of the moat. At the south east of the outer bank two stone chambers have been built into the slope. One of these still has an arched roof surviving and both have the remains of a narrow access chute at the north end. These are interpreted as being for storage of root crops, game or possibly ice and are associated with the now semi-ruined post-medieval farm complex built adjacent to the monument. (Scheduling Report)

Was a royal hunting lodge for the medieval park of Haverah lying within the Forest of Knaresborough. The first reference to the lodge was in 1333 when substantial repairs were carried out to what was an already well established building. Haverah Park was created in the late C12 and the lodge may date to this time.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 15/08/2017 15:56:49

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact