GATEHOUSE
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous 
Back to list 

Hornby Castle, Yorkshire

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Horneby; Halnaby

In the civil parish of Hornby.
In the historic county of Yorkshire North Riding.
Modern Authority of North Yorkshire.
1974 county of North Yorkshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE22589370
Latitude 54.33836° Longitude -1.65420°

Hornby Castle, Yorkshire has been described as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Fortified manor house. Late C15, mid C18 and C20. C15 work for William, Lord Conyers; C18 work for Robert Conyers Darcy, Earl of Holderness. Coursed rubble sandstone, lead and stone slate roofs. South range of 2 storeys and 3:3:3 bays, and 3-storey 2-bay tower recessed to right; also screen walls, remnants of former west and east ranges. South range: mid C18 incorporating C15 work. Sash windows with glazing bars and hoodmoulds, crenellated parapets above string course. Central 3 bays are canted, and between floors in central bay is coat of arms of the Earl of Holderness (azure crusilly with 3 cinquefoils argent), with swags. On ground floor in third bay a French window; on ground floor in eighth and ninth bays a C15 four-centred arched gateway inside which is ashlar masonry with masons' marks; barrel vault interrupted by rebated gateway with gate hooks; to left and right, matching basket-arched doorways with continuous roll and hollow moulding, the left one blocked, the right one with "IS 1754" inscribed on jamb. C18 lead rainwater head and pipe between third and fourth bays. Turret rises above first bay. To right, C15 tower: plinth. On ground floor, hollow-chamfered window of 4 round-arched lights with stanchions and hoodmould with heraldic devices on stops; on first floor, C18 sash windows with glazing bars with ogee-headed top lights in keyed architraves; between first and second floors 2 gargoyle-like grotesques; on second floor, hollow- chamfered window of 3 lights with hoodmould; string with corner gargoyles and crenellated parapets to lead roof. To right, diagonal stepped buttress has circular panel with a slipped trefoil leaf. Right return of tower: external chimney stack on ground and first floors, and on either side of it on both floors a sash window with glazing bars in double-chamfered surround with hoodmould; on second floor a 2-light window with hoodmould with decorative stops. To right of tower, single-storey crenellated screen wall representing outer wall of C18 east wing, with semicircular bay containing.3 window openings with hoodmoulds. Left return of south range: 4 bays of C20 windows of paired lights in ashlar surrounds, and to left, blocked C18 window and lead rainwater head and pipe. Crenellated screen wall represents continuation of C18 west wing, with 2 blocked bays. Screen wall returns further to west with blocked ground-floor windows. Courtyard elevation of south range shows 3 bays to be of C15 date, with 4-pane window on ground floor; first-floor 8-pane sash window in pointed-arched opening and hollow- chamfered window of 2 round-arched lights with hoodmould with armorial devices; two C18 lead rainwater heads and pipes. Interior: ground-floor room to left of gatehouse is barrel vaulted. South range has, in roof space, C18 Roman Doric frieze. First-floor room of tower, said to have been the Duke of Leeds' bedroom, has fielded panel shutters and doors, and acanthus ceiling of c1800. The C18 ranges, which formed a courtyard, were demolished c1927 when the south range was remodelled internally and a late C14 north-west tower, known as St Quintin's Tower after the medieval family which occupied the castle, was demolished. The old principal entrance, an early C16 enriched 3-centred arched doorway, was removed and has since been preserved in the Burrell Museum in Glasgow. (Listed Building Report)

Built 14th century, altered late 15th century and much altered circa 1800. Recently drastically reduced in size and most Md features destroyed. Late Georgian S range incorporates original 15/16th century archway to courtyard; some early 16th century windows incorporated in keep. (PastScape ref. Pevsner)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape           Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
  • Websites (Gatehouse is not responsible for the content of external websites.)
  • Books
    • Turner, Maurice, 2004, Yorkshire Castles: Exploring Historic Yorkshire (Otley: Westbury Publishing) p. 2, 85, 90, 230, 240
      Jackson, M.J., 2001, Castles of North Yorkshire (Carlisle) p. 32-3
      Salter, Mike, 2001, The Castles and Tower Houses of Yorkshire (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 48
      Ingham, Bernard, 2001, Bernard Ingham's Yorkshire Castles (Dalesman) p. 108-9
      Emery, Anthony, 1996, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 1 Northern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 350
      Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 291
      Hatcher, C.J., 1990, Richmondshire Architecture p. 121-3
      King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 519
      Ryder, P.F., 1982 (paperback edn 1992), The Medieval Buildings of Yorkshire (Ash Grove Book) p. 87-107
      1979, Samuel Buck's Yorkshire Sketchbook (Wakefield Historical Publications) p. 388 (Samuel Buck print of c. 1720)
      Pevsner, N., 1966, Buildings of England: Yorkshire: North Riding (London) p. 192
      Curtis, M., 1914 in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Yorkshire: North Riding Vol. 1 p. 313-6 online transcription
      Harvey, Alfred, 1911, Castles and Walled Towns of England (London: Methuen and Co)
      Speight, H., 1897, Romantic Richmondshire p. 155 online copy
      Mackenzie, J.D., 1896, Castles of England; their story and structure (New York: Macmillan) Vol. 2 p. 227 online copy
      Morris, F.O., c.1850, Country Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen p. 1-2
      Allen, T., 1831, A new and complete history of the county of York Vol. 3 p. 498
  • Periodical Articles
    • Matthews, E., (forthcoming), 'Tower and Court as Emblem of Social Mobility:- The Rise and Rise of Hornby Castle under the Conyers'
      Matthews, E., 2012, Fine dining and water supply at a late-medieval 'pleasurance' in Wensleydale' Medieval Archaeology Vol. 56 p. 329-33
      Matthews, E., 2012, 'Hornby Castle Fieldwork Season 2 (2011) Interim Update' Castle Studies Group Bulletin Vol. 14 p. 4
      Dennison, Ed and Richardson, Shaun with contributions by Erik Matthews, 2007-8, 'Recent Work on some North Yorkshire Castles' Castle Studies Group Journal Vol. 21 p. 157-166
      1906, Country Life Vol. 20 p. 54-64
  • Antiquarian (Histories and accounts from late medieval and early modern writers)
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated on Saturday, November 15, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤