The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Ripley Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;

In the civil parish of Ripley.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of North Yorkshire.
1974 county of North Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire West Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE282605
Latitude 54.03999° Longitude -1.56994°

Ripley Castle has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House, and also as a certain Pele Tower.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Large house. A mid C16 tower built for Sir William Ingilby, and ranges of 1783-86 for Sir John Ingilby, by William Belwood. Coursed squared gritstone and ashlar with grey slate and stone slate roofs. Plan: the C16 tower of 3 storeys and 1 x 2 bays stands at the south-west corner as a projecting wing to a 2-storey 4 x 3-bay block; the tower is balanced by a 3-storey 3 x 3-bay projecting wing on the south-east corner of this block and an L-shaped kitchen and service wing which projects to the north (2 bays) and east (3 bays, linking to the courtyard ranges, qv). The C16 tower, south front: a horizontal board door, left, in a shallow pointed-arched doorway with moulded surround and spandrels; a mullion and transom window of 3 round- headed lights with a hoodmould to right,restored below transom level; a corbelled chimney stack projects at first floor, right; a narrow stair window to first and second floors, left. Diagonal buttresses; slightly projecting crenellated parapets on each side of the tower, a stair turret rises above parapet level left and has similar crenellations; 4 tall square stacks also crenellated. The rear (north) wall of the tower is incorporated into the C18 structure. Interior: the south-west tower contains much original mid C16 panelling and early C17 plasterwork. The ground-floor library was entered from the south-west corner in the base of the stair turret which contains a stone newel staircase; the first-floor room was originally divided into an antechamber and inner room, both rooms being heated by fine Tudor-arched fireplaces; the walls have square oak panelling, the ceiling has fine plaster decoration: the underside of the beams ornamented in high relief with friezes of maize and pomegranites in foliage, the panels between divided by mouldings into geometric shapes containing coats of arm, crowned heads and lions. The upper room has early panelling composed of vertical plants set in a square framework; to right of the stair door a hidden door opens inwards into a crudely excavated recess dug out of the wall structure, probably a hide away. C17 fragments of a carved wooden frieze mounted on the wall include one in situ, dated 1555 and the remains of 3 or 4 more in Latin and English, including the Ingilby motto, Mon Droit and the date 1549. The roof is ceiled with planks fastened behind moulded purlins and ridge to form a wide waggon-roof construction. The Ingilby family had estates in Lincolnshire when Thomas Ingilby married Edeline Thweng in 1320. The medieval buildings were recorded in 4 painting in cl780 and followed approximately the lines of the C18 house; the west walls of the entrance hall and the north and east walls of the Morning Room are thought to be the fabric of the earlier hall. Sir William Ingilby was Treasurer of Berwick in 1557 and spent much of his time in the Borders during the 1540's and 50's during a period of extensive political upheaval. The tower reflects the style of building in that area at that time, although the existing openings do not suggest a defensive purpose. The plasterwork in the first-floor room dates from 1603 when King James II of Scotland stayed at the castle on the way to his coronation as James I of England. Sir John Ingilby undertook the transformation of the medieval buildings with some regret at the destruction of the ancient house; the Gothick style of the exterior reflects his and Belwood's interest but the interior is Classical in the style of the time. (Listed Building Report)

Ripley Castle has a short tower block which represents probably the whole of the original house, dating from 1548-55. The rest of the house was rebuilt c. 1780, but the gatehouse is of 15th century date. (PastScape ref. Pevsner)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:08

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact