GATEHOUSE
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Upsall Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Upfall

In the civil parish of Upsall.
In the historic county of Yorkshire North Riding.
Modern Authority of North Yorkshire.
1974 county of North Yorkshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE45628686
Latitude 54.27576° Longitude -1.30485°

Upsall Castle has been described as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.

Description

The remains of a 14th century quadrangular castle which survives beneath the terraced platform on which stands the 19th century Upsall Castle. The west and south elevations of the 14th century castle form the sandstone retaining walls of the terrace and survive to a height of at least 4m. A plinth at the base of the wall is offset by about 0.3m and pilaster buttresses at roughly 5m intervals protrude by 1.5m. The lower courses are of dressed stone but rubble core is exposed on the upper parts. The ground floor of a 16m square tower, the 'Kitchen Tower', is located at the eastern end of the south elevation; the interior now forms a sunken garden which may be entered via a spiral staircase, and niches, probably chimney flues, are visible in the walls. East of the Kitchen Tower, the terrace wall is of 19th century construction but medieval structures are thought to survive behind it. A mason's mark is visible just above the plinth close to the Kitchen Tower. About 20m from the south-western corner, the voussoirs of the arch of a blocked opening have been observed. Although part of the west elevation lies beneath a landscaped embankment, stones of the upper courses of the wall protrude through the surface indicating its line and a 'D'-shaped bastion tower survives to a total height of about 8m. The remains of the interior structures of the castle, including the north and east ranges are thought to survive below ground, having been infilled when the garden terrace was constructed. On the basis of the observed remains, the overall dimensions of the buried remains of the castle are estimated as 85m east-west by 65m north- south. The construction of the quadrangular castle is attributed to Geoffrey Scrope who acquired the manor in 1327 and whose family are famous for building a similar castle at Bolton in Wensleydale. It is thought that the Scrope's castle replaced a Norman castle at Upsall, although there are no visible remains of the earlier stronghold. Another quadrangular castle lay just 600m to the north-east of Upsall, at Kirby Knowle. The castle at Upsall was partially demolished in the Civil War and was in ruins in 1660. The castle wall ruins are listed Grade II. A manor house which then occupied the site was replaced in the 19th century by the present house at which time the landscaping of the ruins was also executed. (Scheduling Report)

On the east of the road at the entrance to the village are the ruins of Upsall Castle. The castle was probably begun by the Geoffrey Scrope who bought the manor from the Upsalls in 1327, and the work was continued by his son Henry. (Grainge, p. 265) The site of the capital messuage is mentioned in 1392, (Chan Inq, p.m) and in 1576–7 the Crown made a grant of 'the old site of the castle of Upsall.' (Pat. 19 Eliz) The castle is mentioned in a conveyance of 1607, and is said to have been demolished at the time of the Civil War. It is last mentioned in 1660, when it was probably in ruins. The only old part is a corner tower at the southeast with walls about 10 ft. high above the lower lawn. It is about 36 ft. square inside. From this the foundations of the south wall run westward for about 130 ft., then turn north for another 140 ft. till they reach another tower with a semi-octagonal western face. In two of these faces are window jambs remaining. This part stands up some 10 ft. to 12 ft. above the upper lawn, which is about 10 ft. higher than the lower lawn. There are a few cinquefoiled heads of square-headed windows lying about, and a plain pinnacle with the arms of Scrope of Masham and Upsall. The modern castle is a short distance to the east of the old site; it was built in 1876. (VCH)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated on Friday, November 14, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤