The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Low Broadwood Hall

In the civil parish of Allendale.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.
Medieval County of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY833556
Latitude 54.89506° Longitude -2.26268°

Low Broadwood Hall has been described as a probable Bastle.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


House dated '1716' on lintel, refenestrated c.1970, with outbuildings perhaps incorporating earlier fabric. Rubble, stone dressings, house roof C20 tiles, left outbuilding C20 metal roof, right outbuilding slate roof. 2 storeys, 4 bays. 3rd bay has C20 door in moulded surround with angular 4-centred head, sunk panels in spandrels and initials A on lintel, with date. C:L All windows C20. Left outbuilding 2 storeys, 2 bays. 2 inserted ground floor windows. Right outbuilding, former Quaker school, 2 storeys and attics, 3 bays, irregular. 2 blocked doors with later windows inserted, that to the right having a chamfered lintel and pieces of inscribed late C17 or early C18 stones (tombstones?) re-used in the jambs. 1st floor 2 2-light mullioned windows and one single light, all with chamfered surrounds, all blocked. Similar single-light window to attic. Left return of left outbuilding has boarded door with triangular-headed chamfered surround perhaps re-set. Rear elevation, contemporary outshut to house, various openings, some with chamfered surrounds. Interior altered. Wall running from rear right end of right outbuilding as far as heavy quoins. This is a section of a C16 house, demolished early C20, and includes a single-light window in a chamfered surround with heavy iron bars. (Listed Building Report)

Low Broadwood and Broadwood Hall form a single farm complex in and L-shape. Part of the short arm of the L-shape was pulled down in 1901 to create a garage, but a contemporary painting shows that the old building was a bastle. The long arm of the L-shape consists of three buildings. The first was unfortified and wass contemporary with the bastle. The third building is a barn with a boulder plinth still visible to show its bastle origins. (PastScape ref. Dodds 1999)

At Low Broadwood Hall are a group of 17th and early 18th century buildings. Low Broadwood Hall, still very much in the 17th century style, has its door lintel dated 1716; an outbuilding to the west has a four centred doorway, in the local bastle tradition, in its gable end, but its walls are not particularly thick. At the opposite end is a three storeyed building with blocked mullioned windows, said to have been a Quaker School. An older house stood to the north east of Low Broadwood Hall, and was demolished about 50 years ago; a painting of it is kept in the 19th century farmhouse. This older house was an L-plan building, with its main block apparently running north-south and a short wing projecting eastward at the north end; the painting shows this wing with a lower outshut on its south side. The building is said to have had living accommodation on the first floor above byres; there was a round headed arch at the south end (a bastle style byre doorway?), an external staircase to the first floor, and a stone newel stair from first to second floors. Some treads of this stair have been kept. All that now survives of the older house is the lower part of the northern half of the west wall, partly incorporated in a range of byres, and partly forming the rear wall to an open fronted shed. In this latter section is one original basement window, a chamfered square headed loop retaining its original iron bars. Further north the north west angle quoins of the building are visible. A doorhead from the original house has been reset in the range of byres facing the farmyard to the east; it has the date '1690' and initials 'H' above 'J B'. It appears that the old house at Low Broadwood was something rather grander than the usual Allendale bastle, and perhaps best classed as a strong house. It may well have been older than the '1690' doorhead, as conventional ground floor houses were being built in the area by this time (Ryder 1994-5). (Northumberland HER)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:27

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact