The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Corbridge Low Hall

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Baxters Tower

In the civil parish of Corbridge.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.
Medieval County of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY99136432
Latitude 54.97345° Longitude -2.01496°

Corbridge Low Hall has been described as a certain Pele Tower.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


House with tower. Original house C13 or early C14, service end heightened as tower in mid to late C15, main block remodelled in later C16 and again c.1675. Restoration and major extensions to rear c.1890. Roughly-squared stone and rubble with cut dressings; stone slate roofs.
South elevation in 2 parts: left part 2 storeys, 3 bays, irregular; tower on right 3 storeys. Main part has 3-light windows except for 2-light between bays to right (replacing pre-1890 door), with 1700 sundial above; to far right remains of chamfered shoulder-arched or pointed doorway to screens passage of original house. C19 moulded corbels to eaves; coped left end gable with finials; stepped-and-corniced left end and ridge stacks. Tower to right has 2-light window, 3-light windows to upper floors and hollow-chamfered cornice below flat-coped parapet; hipped roof. All windows leaded casements, in recessed and chamfered surrounds.
Right return shows late C19 door with elaborate studding and ironwork in renewed shouldered arch, chamfered 1st floor loop and 2 stone spouts below parapet. Left return shows small C13 or C14 window with pointed arch, to right of C19 porch.
Interior: Drawing room (original hall) has old chamfered beams on C19 moulded corbels and 2 service doorways in broad chamfered surrounds. Tower has east-west barrel vault and mural stair to 1st floor; newel stair to higher levels, lit by original loops (now internal). One jamb of original rear through-passage door remains; and the third service door appears to have been re-set in a rebuilt rear wall, possibly in the C16. Rich late C19 fittings include several fireplaces with fine carved hoods. (Listed Building Report)

House, built in C13/early C14 and converted to a tower house by the heightening of the service end in the mid/late C15. The main block was remodelled in the later C16 and again circa 1675. The house was restored and extended circa 1890. (PastScape)
The nucleus of the building known as Low Hall is a mediaeval peel. It was probably built by the Baxters in the late 15th cent. A Thomas Baxter is mentioned in 1381 and a John Baxter in 1431.
The tower which is three stories high, retains many of its original features including a vaulted ground floor and part of the stone newel staircase. The entrance was on the west side. On the left of the entrance is the stairway in the thickness of the north wall.
Externally the tower measures 24' 4" x 17' 8".
Richard Gobson (died 1678/9) was probably the builder of the Low Hall attached to the west side of Baxter's Tower. It has a south frontage to the street and a gabled projection at the N.W. angle. The gable on the north side of the tower is of later date. A sun-dial on the south front bears the date 1700 (Craster 1914; Hadcock 1939).
Building known as "Pele Tower". The name "Low Hall" is not known. The tower and 17th house now constitute one building, which is in excellent condition (F1 JLD 22.5.56). (PastScape)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:27

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact