GATEHOUSE
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Corbridge Vicars Pele

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Corbridge Vicarage

In the civil parish of Corbridge.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY98846441
Latitude 54.97429° Longitude -2.01942°

Corbridge Vicars Pele has been described as a certain Pele Tower.

There are major building remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Towerhouse vicarage, c.1400 except for gabled roof of 1910. Large squared stones, mostly re-used Roman material; stone slate roof. Pointed-arched doorway on east has old door of oak boards bolted into iron grille. Scattered fenestration, small chamfered loops except for larger trefoil-arched lights to north and south at 1st floor level. Hollow chamfered cornice below crenellated parapet (largely fallen except on south); remains of corbelled-out square angle bartizans. Several C18 headstones affixed to north and west walls, including stone to John Robson d. 1753; semicircular pedimented top enclosing cherub above line of key ornament.
Interior: drawbar tunnel in inner jambs of entrance; similar arch from entrance lobby into barrel-vaulted basement. Mural stair to lobby with shelf and sink. 1st floor has window seats on north and south, fireplace with moulded surround on north and 2 wall cupboards on west. Further mural stair to 2nd floor (floor timbers missing) which has mural bookrest recess adjacent to window of north- west corner.
The tower now houses a collection of medieval and earlier carved stones; in addition a number of medieval cross slabs have been re-used in the fabric, mostly as lintels over windows and the mural stairs.
The best preserved vicar's pele in the county; in use as the vicarage until the early C17. (Listed Building Report)

The tower is mentioned as the Vicar's property in the list of fortalices drawn up for Henry V in 1415. There is no record of its erection, but it is of c. 1300 style, all of one date and well-constructed of sandstone, being rectangular in plan, measuring 27' 4" E-W and 21' 0" N-S. The height to the parapet walk is 30'0". The building comprises a vaulted basement and two upper storeys; the entrance doorway is in the east side at ground level (Knowles 1898).
Many of the stones in the tower have cramp holes and have been obtained from the Ro. station at Corstopitum (Craster 1914). (PastScape)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated on Friday, November 14, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤