GATEHOUSE
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Coupland Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Coupland Millfield; Copeland; Cowpland

In the civil parish of Ewart.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NT93543115
Latitude 55.57412° Longitude -2.10384°

Coupland Castle has been described as a certain Tower House.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Although known as a castle, this is a tower house, probably built sometime after 1584. It has been added to over the years and was restored in C19. The tower has three storeys with an attic on top and a small projecting tower carried up the south wall. The entrance door has a date of 1594 inscribed on one side and leads into a barrel vaulted room, or basement, now divided into two. A newel, or spiral staircase leads to the upper floors. The attic roof seems to be original and is an unusual and interesting structure. The tower is a good example of a tower house and is very much in the Scottish tradition. (Keys to the Past)

Country house. C16, C17, C18 and 1820-25. Random rubble including massive porphyry blocks, partly roughcast. Ashlar dressings and Scottish slate roofs.
Towerhouse, built after 1584, with irregular later additions.
Towerhouse: 4 storeys. 47 ft. x 29 ft. C19 12-pane sashes in moulded surrounds. Projecting parapet on original rounded corbels. C19 battlements. Gabled roof behind parapet with original stone-flagged walkway around.
Slightly later extension to tower on left, forming T-plan for these early parts. Similar windows. Continuous moulded corbel table below parapet. Pyramidal roof and circular stair turret.
2-storey, 3-bay house of c.1820-25 attached to left. Central battlemented porch tower with Tudor-arched entrance and oriel window above on moulded corbels. Plaster rib vault in porch. 2-storey canted bay window to right and 3-light mullioned windows to left. Battlemented parapet and false gable behind porch.
Left return has work of 1820-25 on right and 3-bay C18 house to left with 12-pane sash windows in raised surrounds.
Rear facade irregular.
Interior: Tower has vaulted basement, subdivided later into 2 rooms. Original narrow stone newel stair starts from 1st floor in corbelled-out semicircular projection now partly inside later addition to tower, which also contains a broader and later stone newel stair from ground to 1st floor. Base of this stair has round-arched doorway with roll-moulded surround, probably early C17. Similar doorway into kitchen range to rear. Base of original tower has late C17 or early C18 doorway with bolection-moulded surround. On 1st floor of tower a large fireplace dated GW 1619 MW for George and Mary Wallis. The initials set in decorative recessed panels. Tudor-arched lintel. C19 section has contemporary decoration including fine doors, cornices with Greek key pattern, cantilevered stair with wrought-iron balustrade. Several early C19 fireplaces and one late C18 wood fireplace with Corinthian columns and relief carving in lintel, brought from elsewhere. (Listed Building Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤