The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Lanton Towers

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Langeton; Langton; Lancton; Baxter Tower; Strother Tower; Tower of Ralph Reveley

In the civil parish of Ewart.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.
Medieval County of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NT92423115
Latitude 55.57399° Longitude -2.12173°

Lanton Towers has been described as a certain Pele Tower.

There are masonry footings remains.


The tower at Lanton, first mentioned in 1369, was destroyed in 1496 by James VI but later restored. By 1715 it was again in ruins (Bates 1891).
The remains consist of a 2.9m high mound of earth and stones, with traces of a rectangular building, abutting on the E. (F1 NKB 27-FEB-64).
It was one of two towers, (the other being built in 1415), one built by the Baxters, the other by the Strothers. After the 1496 destruction, one tower was repaired and the other left ruinous. The restored tower was ruinous in 1715. It is not possible to decide which of these towers is which (King 1983; Dodds 1999). (PastScape)

The Towers. — There seems to be little doubt that there were two towers in Lanton, one held by the lord of the manor, the other, and probably the earlier one, belonging to the Baxter portion of the township. The first we hear of any fortified place is in 1369, when Henry Lilburn assigned dower to the widow of David Baxter. The deceased had held the 'site of the manor' in which a 'fortellet' was built, and this reappears in 1402 when Robert Manners settled it in 1402, on his son John. In 1415 Henry Strother held 'the tower of Lanton,' and about 100 years later Richard Strother by indenture dated '20th June in the reign of Henry VIII.', leased to John Hall of Otterburn, the 'Castel of Langton with two nobles ther, Ewoolandis, now in the tenure of the said John, and Ivescrake, Milawnaye, withe waye to the mille and watter gaytte as it now rownith in the olde course,' for 190 years at a yearly rent of 4d. By his will dated July 31st, 1595, John Hall left his 'title in Langton bastle' to his son Thomas for life for a yearly payment of 12d., with remainder to his son William, and in 1631 among the late John Strother's property in Lanton there is enumerated 'a carucate of land called Bastile in holding of John Hall, gentleman.' The lease was surrendered by William Hall of Otterburn in 1656. The other tower is mentioned in a letter of 1522 from Lord Dacre to Wolsey, in which the intention is expressed of placing ten men in wages under Ralph Reveley in Lanton tower which belonged to Thomas Manners, Lord Roos. The two towers seem to be merged into one in 1541, when the earl of Rutland appears as joint owner with William Strother.'' It had been among those defences cast down by James IV. before the battle of Flodden, and had been described by Leland as 'a ruine of a towre,' but the greater part of the walls was still standing and the commissioners of 1541 estimated that it could be restored for 100 marks. In 1584, however, it was still 'decaied partly by warres and by want of reparacion of a long contynuance,' and its repair would now cost £100. As to ownership it had passed into the hands of John Collingwood, probably the owner of the Manners portion of the township. (Vickes 1922)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:27

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact