The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Stanton Old Hall, Netherwitton

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Turris de Stranton

In the civil parish of Netherwitton.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.
Medieval County of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NZ13138958
Latitude 55.20035° Longitude -1.79531°

Stanton Old Hall, Netherwitton has been described as a probable Pele Tower, and also as a probable Bastle.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


Stanton Old Hall II Strong house, late C16 incorporating medieval fabric, refenestrated mid-C17 and south end remodelled c.1700. Rubble with re-used squared blocks, dressings, south end ashlar-faced; slate roof. West front 3 storeys, 4 bays. Rusticated quoins to right. C20 doorway in 2nd bay cuts C17 window opening; older door in 4th bay blocked with C20 window inserted. Other ground and 1st floor windows, formerly each of 4 lights, have C20 glazing set in C17 chamfered surrounds; some retain king mullions. Remains of blocked C16 openings on ground floor. 2nd floor shows bricked-up cross windows of c.1700 in first 2 bays, remainder of wall hidden by ivy. Coped left gable with old brick stack; stone cross wall with similar stack on line of 2nd bay; to right of this the block is roofless. South wall 2 bays; rusticated quoins, C20 glazing in former cross windows in architraves with scrolled pediments. Irregular east elevation with 2-light mullioned windows, mostly blocked, and remains of medieval fireplace with heavy corbels; projecting gabled stair turret near north end. C16 hollow-chamfered doorway on left of turret concealed by C20 single-storey addition which is not of interest.
Interior: stone winder stair in turret, several old fireplaces including one with large segmental chamfered arch, probably C16, and hall fireplace of c.1700. Unusual roof trusses each with one convex and one concave curved principal. Thicker walls and a change in masonry suggest that the north part of the main block was a 2-storey gabled structure heightened in the C16. (Listed Building Report)

Late C16 house, incorporating some medieval fabric. The house was refenestrated in the mid C17 and the south end remodelled circa 1700. Thicker walls and a change in masonry suggest the northern part of the main range was originally a two storeyed structure, heightened in C16. This earlier section may represent the tower recorded on this site in a survey of 1415. The building was in use as a blacksmiths in 1902 and had previously served as the parish workhouse. (PastScape)
STANTON, the seat of JOHN FENWIK Esq., is pleasantly situated on the east side of the river FONT; the house is large and well-built (Hodgson 1916 citing Warburton 1715).
Listed in the 1415 Survey as 'TURRIS DE STRANTON'. {Not mentioned in the 1541 Survey pp 29-49} (Bates).
Modern alterations have so defaced the tower, that few traces of it are now observable. Sashed and stone mullioned windows have been inserted at different periods by the FENWICKS. A part of the tower is still tenanted (Hodgson 1832).
The old manor-house of the FENWICKS which appears to have been a pele-tower in the reign of HENRY VI, is now partly occupied by a blacksmith. It was used for some time under the old poor-law system as a parish workhouse. VEITCH, the Covenanter moved in May 1677 from HARNHAM to STANTON HALL (Tomlinson 1902).
Apparently a late 15c or early 16c. date, it is fast going to decay.
The south and west fronts have been eased with ashlar about the end of the 17c or beginning of the 18c (PSANuT 1893-4).
The remains of STANTON HALL stand upon a steep south-west slope, ovelooking the FONT valley to the west, south and east, and commanding the slopes to the north.
The structure consists of a tall rectangular block, with a stair turret against the east side. The north end is still inhabited as a private dwelling. The south end is roofless and ruinous.
Few original features remain. There are several small square-headed windows, blocked with bricks.
All the large windows are of 16c date, except those in the south wall which was rebuilt in early 18c style. The walls of the main block are 1.0m thick.
There are modern additions adjoining the inhabited part on the north and east sides (F1 ASP 14-JAN-57). (PastScape)

A C15 tower of some form. It is called a turris in the 1415 list and is fairly low down the list which is roughly size ordered. It is likely, therefore, to have been a chamber or solar block attached to an unfortified hall but possibly one of the larger of these pele towers. It appears to have been either rebuilt or considerable refurbished as a superior bastle in the C16. This, in its turn, was substantially altered and its original form is unclear. After years of neglect is now roofed and inhabited.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:09

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact