The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Prior Castell's Tower, Inner Farne Island

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Farne Island Tower; Prior Castel's Tower

In the civil parish of North Sunderland.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.
Medieval County of County Palatinate of Durham.

OS Map Grid Reference: NU21783599
Latitude 55.61710° Longitude -1.65568°

Prior Castell's Tower, Inner Farne Island has been described as a certain Pele Tower, and also as a certain Artillery Fort.

There are major building remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Tower house, built for Robert Castell, Prior of Durham between 1494-1519, but appearing to incorporate earlier work. Originally a 4-storey building, now 3-storeyed. Random rubble with chamfered plinth. Used as a fort between 1559 and 1637. Repaired in 1848 and 1927-8. (PastScape)

The tower, to the west of the chapels, is said by Leland (c.1838){sic 1538 meant} to have been built c.1500 by Thomas Castell, Prior of Durham (1494-1519), but it appears to contain some earlier work, including small lancet windows on the stairs and a trefoiled piscina on the first floor. The piscina is reportedly from St Cuthbert's Chapel. The tower measures 12.3m north-south by 7.3m east- west with walls 1.4m-1.8m thick. It originally stood to four storeys but is now only three storeys. It is constructed of rubble masonry with ashlar quoins and a chamfered plinth course. The entrance is in the the east wall through a low round headed doorway. The ground floor is tunnel vaulted and originally contained a well, sometimes called St Cuthbert's Well, which has now been covered over and is no longer visible. The first floor contains a garderobe or latrine and two 18th century fireplaces, one incorporating earlier masonry. The original room has been divided in two by a mid-18th century panelled screen with cupboards. The upper floors are reached by a staircase in the thickness of the wall which ends in a spiral staircase to the roof at the south east corner. The handrail and balusters were installed in the early 18th century. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries the tower was used as a fort and is documented in 1559 and 1637. Later in the 17th century Charles II authorised the first official lighthouse on Inner Farne which comprised a beacon on top of the tower. The tower was restored in 1848 by the Venerable Charles Thorp, Archdeacon of Durham (1831-62). He inserted new windows in the north wall and refitted the interior. Repairs have also been made by the National Trust in 1927-28. The original entrance into the monastic complex was through the north court. The court is irregular in shape and defined by a stone wall standing up to 1.5m high and 0.9m wide. It measures 24m east-west by a maximum 20.5m north- south. The area enclosed is level but outside the north wall of the court the ground falls away steeply for 2m-3m. The west wall of the court, which has fallen since 1848, originally crossed an inlet called St Cuthbert's Gut and joined the north wall of the tower. The present west wall, built before 1848, is curved around the head of the inlet and joins a modern wall between the tower and St Cuthbert's Chapel. The south side of the court is formed by the north walls of St Cuthbert's Chapel and the tower respectively, with the gap in between filled by a wall built in 1930. (Scheduling Report)

Prior Castell's Tower. Said (by Leland) to be for Robert Castell, Prior of Durham 1494-1519, but appears to incorporate earlier work. Random rubble with chamfered plinth. 3 storeys. Round-headed doorway on south side. Offset above 1st floor. Castellated parapet with higher stair turret in south-west corner which has 2 very small lancets to the stairs. On north side 3 scattered early C19 windows with pointed-arched heads and intersecting glazing bars. Interior: keeled tunnel-vaulted ground floor with well in the corner. Mural stair to 2nd floor given handrail, splat balusters and newels with incised Gothick decoration. 1st floor room has trefoiled piscina. Garderobe with seat. 2 C18 segmental-arched fireplaces, one incorporating earlier stonework. The original room divided in two by screen of mid C18 panelling with 2 segmental-arched cupboards. (Listed Building Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:09

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact