The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Causey Park House

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Cawsey Park

In the civil parish of Tritlington.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.
Medieval County of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NZ178949
Latitude 55.24852° Longitude -1.72024°

Causey Park House has been described as a certain Pele Tower.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


Tower (built c.1586) at Causey Park (Hadcock 1939).
The house was built in 1589 by James Ogle, as appears by a stone tablet bearing the date and his shield. It was formerly in the outer wall of the east wing of the house which fell down about five years ago. The house consisted of a considerable suite of apartments fronting the south with east and west wings, besides various contiguous offices, all of which are verging on ruin. Within the house are two circular staircases, one near the middle, the other to the west (Hodgson 1832).
Causey Park was fully restored c.1870 and it was then that the two circular staircases were removed. The building originally consisted of a central tower with living quarters on each side and projecting wings to the east and west. The present house incorporates many of the main walls of the original structure (Oral Mr J L Hogg, 10.1.57 Owner, Causey Park).
The present stucco-faced building shows no external traces of antiquity. The main building is a two-storied rectangular structure with a projecting west wing and with plain sash windows. The walls are up to 1.2m thick and are doubtless those of the original structure. The very thick cross walls in the centre of the main building represent the remains of the central tower. No trace of the east wing remains.
In the east gable wall of the main building is a stone tablet with two weathered shields. Of the date mentioned by Hodgson only the figure '8' is now legible. In the east wall of the projecting west wing is another tablet bearing a shield inside a circular motif.
The building is in excellent condition and is used as a residence (F1 EG 10-JAN-1957).
Causey Park House, Grade II. East part of main block incorporates tower house built 1589 for James Ogle. Extended and remodelled later 18th century, restored 1870. Heraldic panel on right return badly eroded. Interior has 1.2m thick walls in 16th century part. Much altered elsewhere (Listed Building Report 30-Jan-1986)
The house consists of a six-bay main block c.21m by 7m externally, with a central stair projection at the rear (north). At the west end is a cross wing, 19.5m by 7m, and there are various rooms infilling the gap between the north part of the cross wing and the stair projection. The walls of the main block, the southern part of the cross wing (except for its rebuilt south end) and the stair projection, are a metre or more in thickness, as is a cross wall in the main block.
The external walls of the house are now rendered with the exception of the north wall of the main block to the east of the stair projection, which has been recently stripped and shows a variety of features. Massive squared stone in the lower courses is clearly medieval (14th or 15th century?). Large, roughly squared and roughly coursed stone further up the wall looks more of 16th century character. There are blocked openings in the wall at three levels: at ground floor level a central opening that may not be of any great age, with a chamfered medieval loop to the west, above this is another central opening of uncertain age with a larger square-headed chamfered window (medieval?) a little below and to the west, and near the top of the wall an odd broad opening near the centre with more square-headed windows of medieval character on either side, a small loop on the east and a larger opening on the west.
The only pre-18th century feature currently visible internally is a large segmental-arched fireplace on the north side of the ground floor room in the southern section of the cross-wing. This has been exposed and restored, its arch being taken down and reset, relatively recently.
A former owner made notes on the development of the house in 1987 and 1990. He recorded a variety of features seen during repairs and alterations and which are no longer visible. These include two arches in the east wall of the western tower/wing and a circular stone stair in its north east corner. In the eastern tower he refers to a high window in the east wall with a tall arched fireplace further south (see report for details). Two episodes of remodelling occurred, one in the 16th century (see report for details); another in the early 18th century. In the early 19th century the house fell into poor repair and the east wing collapsed c.1824. Later in the 19th century and in the 20th century, repairs and extensions were built.
SUMMARY: the central portion of the medieval house was probably a hall block rather than a walled yard. Whilst the eastern part of the medieval building was clearly of three storeys and can be classed as a tower, it is unclear what evidence there is for the western part being a tower rather than a stone built two storeyed cross wing. The eastern tower may well have contained a solar, whilst the west tower/wing housed the services. The blocked arches referred to in the east wall of the wing sound like the conventional service doorways from a cross passage at the west end of the hall.
The rendered elevations of Causey Park conceal a great number of structural features. It is a building of considerable complexity, demonstrating remodelling from a medieval house to a Tudor mansion and then to a Georgian country house. Full archaeological recording is highly desirable in the event of any further stripping or repair. The Ogle family owned Causey Park from the 16th century to the 1850s. The Hogg family bought Causey Park from the Court of Chancery in 1854 and have owned it ever since (Ryder 1994-5). (Northumberland HER)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:09

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact