The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Oswestry Town Wall

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
de Alba Monasterio; Osolvestre; Osewaldestre; Oswaldestre; Croes Oswald; Beatrice Gate; New Gate; Black Gate; Williow Gate

In the civil parish of Oswestry.
In the historic county of Shropshire.
Modern Authority of Shropshire.
1974 county of Shropshire.
Medieval County of Shropshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SJ29082970
Latitude 52.86014° Longitude -3.05476°

Oswestry Town Wall has been described as a certain Urban Defence.

There are no visible remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.


The Medieval town defences of Oswestry were built from 1272 by order of King Edward I and were one mile in circumference. The walls were slighted during the Civil War, but the gates survived. Excavations in 1973 have recovered the foundations for part of the walls. First murage granted in 1257. Leland says walls were one mile in circumference and contained no towers. Early C15 Beatrice Gate destroyed 1782, medieval Black Gate demolished 1771, early C14 New Gate demolished 1781, medieval Willow Gate demolished 1782. These gates remained standing after the wall was demolished and continued to be the site for taking tolls into C17.

The town walls of Oswestry were built in 1272 by order of King Edward I, although the first murage grant was received in 1257. They originally ran from the castle along Arthur Street, Welsh Walls, English Walls and King Street. Leland said that the walls were one mile in circumference and contained no towers, although a deed of agreement of 1782 states that "the Towne was formerly walled round and had several strong towers ... and four gateways".
The walls were destroyed after the Civil War, but the gates survived. (Turner 1971; Leighton 1881-2; Price 1815).
A section of the town walls was observed in 1973 on English walls at SJ 29012947. The wall was reported as being seven feet thick. (Salop Sites & Mons SA 493 (I Burrow 29.9.76)).
Part of the walls was uncovered in June 1973 by excavations for new premises for Messrs Mumford near the Golden Tankard public house. The wall was plotted on the OS 1:500 town plan (1874). The plan shows the line of the wall as found, and what the position of the wall would have been if it had continued on the same line towards the New Gate. This line seems to show that the buildings inside the wall were set out parallel to the wall and not, as one would have expected, at right angles to the street (Day 1973)
No trace of the town walls or of the gates survive. The site of the walling observed in 1973 is now occupied by a modern building housing a hairdressing salon (F1 ASP 05-OCT-79).
Murage grants to meet the cost of fortifying towns were first recorded in 1230 but it was not until 1257 that a 'muragium' or 'wall tax' was obtained for five years to build a wall around Oswestry. It is unlikely that a stone wall could have been built in five years. In 1283, the wall was either damaged in raids or still incomplete, a further twenty years of murage was allowed to complete the wall (Pratt 1981).
An excavation of part of the wall in December 1983 and Jan 1984 was conducted by the Border Counties Archaeological Group and Civic Society with assistance from the Manpower Services. An eight metre length of wall and moat was uncovered, together with a substantial amount of Medieval pottery ( Popular Archaeology 1984). (PastScape)

An archaeological excavation on top of the motte undertaken in 1988 revealed a metre thick layer of demolition rubble dating to the 17th century, whilst in a trench dug at the base of the mound a small section of a substantial wall, thought to be part of the 13th century town defences, was found. This wall is approximately 2m wide, aligned south west-north east, and is built of mortared rubble with its eastern side faced with dressed sandstone blocks. An opening though the wall was uncovered and is believed to mark the position of an original postern gate. The wall would appear to overlie the remains of the motte ditch and it thus post-dates the construction of the motte. This section of the town wall has been consolidated and remains have been exposed. (Scheduling Report)

Map reference is for probably location of New Gate.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:52

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact