The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Birdoswald Bastles

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
High Burdoswell

In the civil parish of Waterhead.
In the historic county of Cumberland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Cumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY61496629
Latitude 54.98970° Longitude -2.60315°

Birdoswald Bastles has been described as a certain Bastle.

There are masonry footings remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


In the 13th century a tower house was built by the porta princpalis sinistra. In the 16th century a bastle house replaced the tower house, which in its turn was replaced by a farmhouse in the 17th century. (PastScape ref. Wilmott 1997)

Former farmhouse, now (1988) HQ of the archaeological unit excavating the adjacent Roman site. Substantially the house built by Henry Norman in 1858, but incorporating extensive remnants of an earlier building, possibly C15 or early C16 and perhaps erected by the de Vaux family. Coursed rubble masonry, rendered on all but the rear (N) elevation; Welsh slate roofs. Plan and development: The building consists of a principal range aligned E-W, 2-rooms deep (main living rooms to the S, scullery and other service rooms to the N), entered from the S by a central porch; attached to this range to the W is a 2-storey tower which appears to be an almost entirely C19 construction in the form of a tower-house. A now internal dated lintel in the principal range between the service rooms and the entrance hall (AQMB1745, commemorating Anthony and Margaret Bowman) and a blocked window, strongly suggests that this range was originally only a single room in depth, and extended in 1858. The rear wall of the SE room, and that to the W of the room and dividing it from the entrance hall are extremely thick and contain features that confirm an early date: a four-centred stone doorway arch, partially blocked but visible in the entrance hall; the remains of a newel stair in the SW corner of the room; and an early (but undateable) window in the rear wall, 1st floor, and now blocked. These features together suggest the possibility that the SW room was once a tower-house, but the presence of a high quality doorway at ground level militates against this (although it is possible that the ground level may have been altered). A C19 engraving shows that there was no tower to the W before 1858; however the external stack visible on the E wall of the tower evidently pre- dates the 1858 work for its extensive corbel table survives and is visible in the roof space. (It may have served as a corbelled fireplace, but this seems unlikely in this position). Exterior: S elevation: symmetrical 4-window range with castellated gabled porch containing datestone HN 1858 under small single-light window. Square-headed doorway with chamfered surround. 2-light windows to 1st floor with chamfered and vermiculated mullions and surrounds, and 2-pane hornless sash windows. 3-light window to either side of porch, otherwise treated identically to those above. Stone coping and internal end stack (with 3 brick shafts) to E wall, with one C20 window. Rear (N) elevation of principal range with C19 fenestration; 3-window range, the right-hand (W) windows set well to the W; 8-pane harnless sash windows throughout (altered to ground floor, left). Stone plain surrounds. One doorway to left, another blocked right of centre. Tower: rendered, except for N elevation and battlements, the render out back at the angles to resemble quoining. 2 stages, the upper stage slight recessed. Battlements corbelled out with external stacks to E and W. S side with one window to each floor, 2 lights to 1st floor, 3 to ground, with plain chamfered mullions and surrounds. W side with 2 2-pane hornless sash windows to 1st floor and a narrow slit to external stack at the same level, all with stone surrounds. Centrally placed shield to battlements. N: 2 pane harnless sash window to 1st floor; lean to with stone coping, the door, C19 and studded. Interior: many early features probably remain under the plaster. 4-centred doorway, remains of newel, and old window (with wooden lintel) mentioned above. Otherwise standard c19 furnishings; one stone fireplace, Cl9 but in C16 style. Roof: standard tie, ridge-piece, side purlin roof, difficult to date but pre-1858. The corbelling in the W gable indicates an ancient well at this point, date not known (see above). Note: The C19 owner (Henry Norman) was an antiquerian and conducted his own excavation of the adjacent Roman site. This 'tower house' (to the W) is an interesting example of 'medieval reconstruction', although it is possible that some archaeological evidence indicated the presence of a tower here, and that the surviving C16 work represents the remains of a hall range. Birdoswald Farmhouse also indicates the long-established and continuous occupation of this site from Roman times. (Listed Building Report)

Two tenements adjoining more easte called High Burdosell between the Pight (Picts') Wall on the north; Irding & Lowe Burdosell on the south & backing easte with a narrow end upon a cotage of Henr. Twedells. Hereof Thos Twedell hath one tenemt with the Stonehouse, Jeffrey Twedell the other Tenemt (Gilsland Survey 1603 as quoted in Wilmott 1999)

Building 4407 falls close to the typical dimensions of bastle houses (10.3 x 6.6m), and has a doorway in the west gable walL The narrow corridor at the eastern end is not typical, though Peter Ryder (personal communication) has suggested that the strip of foundation separating the rooms might have supported a heavy fireplace and chimney stack at first floor level. Such fireplaces are usually located at the end opposite the ground floor byre door, but tend to be either recessed into thick end walls or carried on heavy corbels (Ryder 1992a, 373-4). There is no evidence for an external stone stair. The upper floor may have been carried on a vault or on timber beams. The reconstruction drawing of this phase (Fig 284) shows Building 4407 as a typical bastle house based on the surviving example at Black Middens, Northumberland. (Wilmott 1999)

In C16 a bastle house (some sources write two bastles) replaced the tower house, which in its turn was replaced by a farmhouse in C17 The farmhouse may, in fact date to the C15 or early C16 and thus be the second bastle. A family called the Tweddles lived in Birdoswald's Bastle House in the 1580's. Raided twice by the Elliots and the Nicksons in 1588 and again in 1590 by the Armstrongs. Having their door burnt' down and their cattle and household goods stolen.
The Gilsland Survey mentions two tenements but only one stonehouse. The current farmhouse is described in Willmott (1999 p. 399) as an 'undefensible bastIe' and dated as after the Gilsland Survey.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:29

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact