GATEHOUSE
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Pillaton Old Hall

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Pillenhaul; Pilatehala

In the civil parish of Penkridge.
In the historic county of Staffordshire.
Modern Authority of Staffordshire.
1974 county of Staffordshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SJ94281293
Latitude 52.71405° Longitude -2.08606°

Pillaton Old Hall has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

Pillaton Old Hall is a good example of a moated site with major contemporary buildings standing above ground. The moated island will retain important structural and artefactual evidence for the other buildings known to have occupied the island and the infilled ditches will retain information regarding the environment and economy of its inhabitants. The importance of the site is enhanced by good documentary records and detailed map evidence.
Pillaton Old Hall moated site is situated in an isolated context within a wide valley, 180m south of Pillaton Hall Farm. The Old Hall, which is partly in use as a dwelling and is partly ruined, originally stood within a waterfilled moat and, although the moat has been drained since 1860 and is now mostly filled in, it is still visible in places as a slight depression in the ground surface and it survives intact as a buried feature. Estate maps dating to 1754 and 1828 provide evidence for the layout of the moated site. The moat was semi-circular at its southern extent and approximately 10m wide on the west, east and south sides of the site. The northern arm of the moat was approximately 32m wide at its widest. There is a single, segmental-arched bridge across the infilled northern section of the moat. It is built of ashlar and red brick, with a coped parapet, and is largely 18th century in date. The bridge is a Grade II listed building and is included within the scheduling. The island is slightly raised above the surrounding ground surface and measures 60m north-south and 34m west-east. A retaining wall is visible on the eastern and northern edges of the island. The four ranges of buildings of Pillaton Old Hall originally formed a quadrangle around a central open courtyard and were situated at the northern end of the moated island. Upstanding remains of the east and south ranges include an early 16th-century rectangular chimney stack. It is built of red brick with a stone plinth and survives to a height of approximately 6m. There is a blocked fireplace on the west side of the stack. The chimney stack is a Grade II listed building and is included within the scheduling. The northern range, which has been restored, is now occupied and is excluded from the scheduling. It is built of brick and includes a 16th-century gatehouse with four centred arches and turrets of the early 18th century. It is a Grade II-star listed building. East of the gatehouse is the stone-built chapel dedicated to St Modwena which was built c.1480. The chapel was restored in the 19th century. It remains in ecclesiastical use and is not included in the scheduling. The manor of Pillaton was held by Burton Abbey. From at least the early 16th century Pillaton Old Hall was owned by the Littleton family. By 1740 the Littleton family had moved to Teddesley and the house at Pillaton was largely demolished. A drawing of Pillaton Old Hall in about 1798 by Stebbing Shaw indicates that only the north range and a number of large chimney stacks from the other ranges remained standing by this date. (Scheduling Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated on Saturday, September 20, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤