The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Broughton Tower

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
The Towers, Broughton in Furness

In the civil parish of Broughton West.
In the historic county of Lancashire.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Lancashire North of the Sands.

OS Map Grid Reference: SD21398792
Latitude 54.28085° Longitude -3.20887°

Broughton Tower has been described as a certain Pele Tower.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


House, now school, incorporating C14 pele tower with vaulter basement which was extended to the south in the mid/late C18. The wings were added in 1882-3 and the building was further extended in C18. Stone-built, with slate roofs. Also former site of a dovecote, no longer surviving above ground. (PastScape)

It consists of what appears to be a 14th-century keep, or tower-house, incorporated into a modern mansion, but except for the external walls very little of the original structure remains, nearly all its distinguishing architectural features having been lost in successive alterations and rebuildings. The tower is rectangular in plan, measuring internally 42 ft. 6 in. by 32 ft., the greater length being from north to south, with walls varying in thickness from 5 ft. to 7 ft., constructed of rubble masonry with red sandstone quoins, and terminating in an embattled parapet. The keep consists of a basement and three upper stories, but externally it is only visible its full height of about 60 ft. on the north side, where it remains, with the exception of the windows, substantially unaltered. (VCH)

House, now school. C14 pele tower, extended to south mid to late C18, wings added 1882-3, C20 additions. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. South facade of 2 storeys with basement and 8 bays, 3-bay centre breaks forward, 1st and 7th and 8th bays form projecting wings. Quoins and coped embattled parapet. Ogee-headed windows have architraves and are sashed, with glazing bars, with octagonal and square quarries and intersecting glazing bars to heads, but wings have single glazing bars and Y tracery heads. Porch has embattled parapet and ogee-headed entrance up steps, with clustered shafts, pinnacles and fleuron. 3-storey pele tower visible to rear, with embattled parapet and blind Diocletian window. Cross-axial stacks. North elevation has pele tower to centre with embattled parapet with escutcheon. Pointed windows, paired with balcony to ground floor, similar windows to returns. Flanking lean-to bays to returns have gable-end stacks; low C20 single storey projections. Wing to east has 3-storey round tower to angle. Windows are pointed with sashes. Wing to west has square turret and 2-storey, 2 bay service wing with smaller wing to west; sashed windows and hipped roof. S Rainwater heads dated: "ES/1777", "R C7/17/44" and "IS/1837". West elevation has ogee-headed windows as to south elevation and ogee-headed entrance. Interior has rooms with ribbed ceilings. Hall has dog leg stair with open string and 2 balusters to the tread. Landing has 2 segmental arches. Re-set French early C16 portal has shaped pediment. Dining room has re-set Italian Renaissance chimney piece. Vaulted basement and spiral stair to former pele tower. (Listed Building Report)

Originally a large and vaulted chamber block tower attached to a, now lost, hall. Although this came into the hands of the Earl of Derby in 1487 it was built by the gentry status de Brocton family.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:53

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact