GATEHOUSE
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Marlborough Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Merleberge; Malmesberiae; Marlbergie; The Mount

In the civil parish of Marlborough.
In the historic county of Wiltshire.
Modern Authority of Wiltshire.
1974 county of Wiltshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SU18376866
Latitude 51.41666° Longitude -1.73721°

Marlborough Castle has been described as a certain Timber Castle, and also as a certain Masonry Castle, and also as a certain Palace.

There are earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.

Description

Large mound, possibly a motte and bailey within the grounds of Marlborough College. The first documentary evidence for the existence of a castle is during the reign of King Stephen, who held it in 1139 from the Empress Matilda. It is possible that it existed earlier. Repairs and construction of a ring wall around the motte are recorded for 1209-11. Further building occurred during the reign of Henry II, including a Great Tower. The castle was in ruins by 1403. Parts of the keep and curtain wall have been identified by excavation and a Roman coin recovered. A chapel was allegedly situated within the bailey. The mound was incorporated into a garden layout during the late C17/early C18, with the construction of a summerhouse on the top and a grotto at the base. There has been considerable speculation that the mound has origins in the later Neolithic, by analogy with Silbury Hill, particularly since the discovery in 1912 of several red deer antler fragments within the mound, and the collection of some struck flints from the ground surface to the south and south west in the early 1920s. At present, the extant evidence is rather limited however a late Neolithic origin for the mound cannot be completely ruled out, and the Marlborough place-name (barrow of Maerla) does suggest the mound may be based on a barrow or, at least, a pre-saxon earthwork mound. From 1273-1369 it was in possession of the queen as a dower house. (PastScape)

The wooden castle was built by William the conqueror as his invasion force came to the West Country in 1086. It later became to be strengthened by Roger, bishop of Salisbury in 1100 and was later rebuilt in stone. The history of the structure of the castle is interesting and the details of its strengthening and rebuilding throughout the centuries show us that the castle was highly valued by both monarchs and their officials and powerful locals.
Important individuals feature in the castles history the first being Agelric who was the bishop of the South Saxons. He was held hostage in the castle in 1070 after William came to successfully conquer the West Country in 1068. The royal history of the castle does not finish here as the castle became a royal residence and the royal court often visited. Savernake forest and the neighbouring wood of Aldbourne chase were favourite royal hunting grounds. Notable figures linked to the castle are as follows. John of Gaunt, son of Edward III had a hunting lodge in the middle of the chase. Henry I spent Easter there in 1110. Henry III was married there and in 1245 his mother died there. On his death the castle became part of the dowry of his widow, Queen Eleanor and on her death was conferred by Edward I on his own Queen. Edward II bestowed it on his favourite Hugh Le Despencer in 1308; on his fall his wife Queen Isabel obtained it. In the reign of Edward III the castle was held by various wardens for the King’s sister. Richard II granted it to Sir William Scrope – on his execution in 1399 it reverted back to the crown.
The castle was allowed to fall into ruin after the Wars of the Roses. The wise policy of Henry VII strengthened the crown so great castles were no longer needed to keep the peace. Old feudal fortresses became valueless, as explosives were now in use and castles were defenceless against gunpowder. Edward VI, last royal owner of the castle, passed it on to the Seymour family as this was his mother’s line. Today the site of the castle belongs to Marlborough College. (VCH Explore)

1256. To Stephen Fromund, constable of the castle of Merleberge. Contrabreve to repair where absolutely necessary the wall of the castle of Merleberge, which has fallen down in three places. (Cal. Lib. Rolls)

Radiocarbon dates of charcoal from cores taken from the mound in 2010 have dated the mound as prehistoric (2800-2000 BCE) and a contemporary of Silbury Hill. This does not exclude later use of the mound as a motte for Marlborough Castle. However, the motte was merely a part of the castle and most of the medieval castle is probably lost beneath the school buildings.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated on Friday, November 14, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤