GATEHOUSE
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous 
Back to list 

Cliburn Hall

In the civil parish of Cliburn.
In the historic county of Westmorland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY58912454
Latitude 54.61431° Longitude -2.63767°

Cliburn Hall has been described as a certain Pele Tower.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

Description

The Hall was probably begun circa 1387, when the pele tower was built, and later there were mid C16 alterations and additions. A small square tower was added circa 1450 and contains what was the well of the Hall. The battlement of the pele tower were removed and the tower gabled over circa 1872. The Hall was completely modernised with pebble dashed walls, new windows and a roof. (PastScape)

Cliburn Hall, house and outbuildings, 150 yards E.N.E. of the church. The House is of three storeys; the walls are of local rubble and ashlar and the roofs are slate-covered. The house was built or re-built by Richard Cliburn in 1567, but the thickness of some of the walls may indicate that portions of an earlier building were incorporated. At the N.W. end is a rather later extension with a two-storeyed wing extending towards the S.W. The house was re-roofed in the 19th century when the former parapet was removed; other alterations have been made in recent years. The S.W. front has a projecting two-storeyed wing, probably a porch-wing; the upper storey projects slightly on continuous corbelling; the former mullioned and transomed windows have been replaced by modern work in recent years. The former doorway in the N.W. return-wall is blocked. The main block has a doorway at the first-floor level, approached by steps; it has a square head and above it is a re-set panel inscribed "Rychard Cleburn thus they me cawl Wch in my tyme hath bealded ys hall, the yeare of owre lorde God who lyst for to neam (?) 1567— R.D. Mayson"; above the panel are the initials R.C. and a cartouche of the arms of Cliburn quartering Kirkbride. Farther S.E. are two windows each of four transomed and elliptical-headed lights with a moulded label; two other windows have been destroyed by a rebuilding round and above the doorway. The ground floor, approached by steps, has an original window with an iron grate. Both the S.E. end and the back (Plate 18) have a series of original transomed windows similar to those on the S.W. front, and the ground floor has a window with a grate. In the addition, at the first-floor level, is a doorway with a modern head, opening on to a solid stone platform approached by steps and giving access to a well enclosed in a square block of masonry. Inside the building, the ground floor both of the main block and the extension has elliptical barrel-vaults of rubble, groined back over the windows; two doorways have triangular arches in square heads and the large S.E. fireplace has an arched head. On the first floor, the middle beam of the main room or hall rests on shaped corbels; the blocked fireplace has moulded jambs and flat three-centred head; the original doorway, N.E. of the fireplace, has the scratched name John Lowther; another doorway has the names James Lowther, William Lowther and the figures 68. In the N.W. wall of the former hall are two more 16th-century doorways, one with a triangular and one with a three-centred head. The second floor has an original fireplace with a triangular arch in a square head. (RCHME 1936)

Despite being a historical significant building the Hall does not appear to be recorded in the National Heritage List as a listed building although the PastScape record does appear to suggest that at one point it was grade 2 star listed.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
  • English Heritage (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s) 12105.
  • County Historic Environment Record (or Sites and Monuments Record) number(s) 3835.
  • Books
    • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 38
      Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29)
      King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 491
      Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 66-8
      RCHME, 1936, An inventory of the historical monuments in Westmorland (HMSO) p. 68 no. 2 online transcription
      Curwen, J.F., 1932, 'Parishes (West Ward): St Cuthbert, Cliburn' The Later Records relating to North Westmorland: or the Barony of Appleby p. 291-295 online transcription
      Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 265
      Taylor, M.W., 1892, Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland and Cumberland (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 8) p. 105-12 online copy
  • Periodical Articles
    • 1949, Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 49 p. 187
      Haswell, F., 1912, Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 12 p. 126-30
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated on Saturday, November 15, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤