The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Wookey Court Farm

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;

In the civil parish of Wookey.
In the historic county of Somerset.
Modern Authority of Somerset.
1974 county of Somerset.
Medieval County of Somerset.

OS Map Grid Reference: ST51794562
Latitude 51.20854° Longitude -2.69132°

Wookey Court Farm has been described as a certain Palace.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Medieval palace of the Bishop of Bath and Wells at Wookey, on low lying land in a loop of the River Axe. The site was one of the first palaces of the Bishops and is first documented in 1224 when Bishop Jocelin was licensed to use oak trees from Cheddar forest for its repair. In a 1330s history of Wells it was written that the chapels and chambers of Wookey and Wells were built 'magnificently' by Jocelin. The main grounds were encircled by a moat, enclosing a large polygonal area of over five acres, with the palace in the northern part where Court Farm now stands. The farmhouse is the only upstanding building of the period. An area of earthworks to the east of the house indicates the site of former buildings, and although the moat has been largely infilled its course can still be traced in places as an earthwork. Major repairs to the palace were recorded in 1461-2, including the re-roofing of the hall with lead. A survey of 1557 recorded new buildings and rooms, and the present farmhouse has been identified as part of the new build. The moat is believed to date from after this date as it is not mentioned in the survey, although it is depicted on the 1839 Tithe Map. The grounds were entered from the south east where a gatehouse stood. On one side were an ox house, hay house, stable and pigsty while on the other were a cow house and walled barton of two acres. Lynchets and banks suggest sub-division of this aprt of the grounds. Within the grounds were a garden behind the house, a barn, two bartons, an orchard, fishponds and a dovecote. (PastScape)

The palace at Wookey survives as a good example of its class, within contemporary grounds, and will contain archaeological evidence relating to its use and history. The low lying nature of the site suggests that waterlogged deposits will be present.
The monument includes the earthwork remains of a medieval bishop's palace and grounds, where these have not been affected by modern development. These lie mainly within but partly adjacent to a large moated enclosure on low lying land in a loop of the River Axe. The only upstanding building of the period, in the area of the scheduling, is now a farmhouse, which is Listed Grade IIstar. The site was the subject of a survey by the Wookey Local History Group in 1992-3. The palace stood in the northern part of its grounds, where the farmhouse stands today. An area of earthworks to the east of the house indicates the sites of former buildings. The main grounds of the palace were encircled by a moat, enclosing a large polygonal area of over five acres. The course of this moat is shown on the tithe map of 1839 and it can be traced in places as an earthwork; to the south it has been re-worked to form a later water leat. To the north it has been encroached upon by a realignment of the river for garden landscaping in the 19th century. In the south east corner its accompanying bank can be seen diverging from the later leat, and to the south west as a shallow rise and break of slope running across the field. In the paddock behind the farmhouse the moat is visible as a slight, broad curving depression, and it continues in the main field to the south as a very shallow depression towards the track. The angle at the west end of the northern arm of the moat can be traced clearly in the garden of Abbey Cottage, where it is separated from the river by stone revetting, and further south west by a low bank. It then runs through the 1960s housing development of Abbey Close, surviving as a break of slope in the gardens of nos 6 and 9, and as a hollow between two mounds on the road island. This area is not included in the scheduling. A record of 1557 indicates that the palace complex included a great hall, parlour, a new parlour, buttery, wine room, a new chamber, little chamber, broad chamber, three chambers over the 'old' cloister, armoury, galleries, chapel, kitchens, brewhouse, larders, cellar, enclosed yard with running water and fish troughs, gatehouse, dairy house and stable. The present farmhouse has been identified as being part of the 'new' buildings of this period. The grounds were entered from the south east, where a gatehouse was recorded. On the right were an ox house, hay house, stable and pigsty; on the left (south) were a cow house and walled barton of two acres. There also appears to have been an entrance to the south west. Earthworks of buildings are visible on the south, with lynchets and banks suggesting sub-divisions of this part of the grounds. The mound in the south east corner of the field is a modern soil heap. Within the grounds were a garden behind the house, an orchard, a piece of land called the Coney Grenne with a barn, a small barton, a barton called Culverhey with a 'fayer large' dovecote, and a four acre orchard. The acreages listed for these indicate that they extended beyond the moated enclosure. In 1839 fishponds are also shown. The 1557 record makes no mention of the moat. The site of the dovecote is believed to be indicated by the rectangular earthwork beside the track on the west edge of the main grounds, and one of the fishponds can be identified as a shallow hollow, filled in recent years, to the south. In the field to the south of the moat are the linear ridges of an orchard, part of which has trees on today. This can be identified as the large orchard recorded as being within the curtilage of the palace in 1557. The tithe map of 1839 shows a subsidiary moated enclosure, two ponds and two small paddocks to the west. Traces of this moat and a scarp corresponding to the site of one of the fishponds are visible, and the outline of the small moat is preserved by an 18th century wall. From more recent times, a modern water leat cuts across the site, following much of the line of the former southern side of the moat, and there is a 19th century farmyard on the west side of the present farmhouse. In the 1960s a housing development, Abbey Close, was built over the north west corner of the site. Finds of medieval pottery, stonework, tiles, a thimble and an iron arrowhead have been recorded from one of the gardens. The site in medieval times was one of the palaces of the bishops of Bath and Wells. Their residence at Wookey is first documented in 1224 in a licence to Bishop Jocelin to use oak trees from Cheddar forest for its repair. In a 1330s history of Wells it was written that the chapels and chambers of Wookey and Wells were built 'magnificently' by Jocelin. A mention of Bishop Bubwith in 1418 speaks of him being in a walkway between the hall and chapel of the manor of Wookey. Major repair work is again recorded in 1461-2, including the re-roofing of the hall with lead. The survey of 1557 records new buildings and rooms, and mentions an old cloister. The palace was obviously much updated and changed in appearance by this time, as befitted such a residence. In 1839 the tithe map marks the position of the moat and fishponds. (Scheduling Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:29

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact