The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Lindisfarne; The Palace Supply Base

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
holy Iland

In the civil parish of Holy Island.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.
Medieval County of County Palatinate of Durham.

OS Map Grid Reference: NU12754194
Latitude 55.67080° Longitude -1.79884°

Lindisfarne; The Palace Supply Base has been described as a Palace although is doubtful that it was such, and also as a Artillery Fort although is doubtful that it was such.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.


There are the remains of a group of medieval buildings within an enclosure. It stands to the east of Holy Island village close to Lindisfarne Priory. Traces of a number of ranges of buildings can be seen standing within the walled enclosure. There are historic records from C15 that a house called Harbottle Place probably stood at this site. In the Tudor period it was converted into a military supply base. A survey of 1548 called the buildings the 'Queen's storehouse' and states that there was '…also another house in the towne called the Pallace, which is the newe brewhouse and bakehouse. By 1596 the brewing vats were out of use. The buildings were abandoned and fell into ruin. A map of 1792 shows only a single building in the north-east of the site. Work carried out here in 2000, for the Time Team programme on Channel 4, exposed remains of a Tudor victualling yard. These included a large masonry brewhouse with the settings for a mash tun and a fermenting tun. There was also evidence of a cellar, storehouse, possible malthouse and courtyard. (Keys to the Past)

"The Palace”, known from documentary evidence as a medieval house and latterly Tudor supply base with brewhouse and bakehouse, lies on the eastern edge of the village indicating that the medieval extent of the settlement, in this direction at least, may have been similar to that of the present day. Although the origin of its name is uncertain it is possible that it derives from its earlier name of Harbottle Place. Such a shift from “Place” to “Palace” is quite common in the north east. At the beginning of the 15th century it belonged to John Jenkyn who later sold it to a John Harbottle of Berwick. In 1462 he used the property as security for a loan which he redeemed. In 1482 the property was sold to John Reyd and in 1485 conveyed again, this time in three parcels. In 1514 two of the parcels were sold to the Prior of Durham and when the monastery was dissolved it was passed, along with the monastery to the Crown. It is not clear what form the medieval house took, although the remains of some of the buildings do suggest that the medieval fabric still survives. The layout of the site suggests that it was a courtyard house. (Northumberland Extensive Urban Survey)

The complex originated as a domestic house the form of which seems unusual. With the exception of bastles and tower houses, few domestic houses of this date survive in Northumberland. The form of this one, apparently an undefended 'courtyard' type house, makes it a rare survival. As such it would contribute to any study of developing and changing forms of medieval domestic housing in Northumberland. The extent of survival is particularly good. Large stretches of walling remain upstanding and allow the form and arrangement of the building complex to be reconstructed. A significant depth of buried remains are present at the site. These will retain important information on the history of use of the site as well as further important information on its structural form. Although originally privately owned, the complex of buildings passed into the hands of the adjacent priory. A recent study has argued that it may have stood within the north east corner of the early monastic precinct. The surviving remains will retain information on how the complex was used during this period and will thereby contribute to any study of the monastic community. Apart from the priory complex and the parish church this is the only significant medieval survival on the island. As such it will contribute to any study of the medieval settlement of Holy Island. After the Dissolution the complex functioned for a while as a victualling and armaments centre for the forces of Elizabeth I. The military use of this and other sites on Holy Island at this period must be seen in the context of a wider system of coastal defence stretching along the east coast, the construction of which was initiated by Henry VIII. During Elizabeth's reign the continued threat posed by Scotland, along with threats of invasion from Spain or the Spanish Netherlands, necessitated continued strengthening and maintenance of the coastal defences. Surviving Elizabethan fortifications are extremely rare, with fewer than ten recognised examples in England as a whole. In view of this rarity all examples will be identified as nationally important. The best surviving examples are the defences of Berwick-upon-Tweed, which formed the northern extent of this particular defence system. Whilst not a fortification in its own right, this complex is important in providing an insight into how the Elizabethan coastal defence system here was supported. (Scheduling Report)

Within the TimeTeam programme a suggestion was made that an arrow head artillery bastions can be traced in layout left in village street plan. This suggestion doesn't seem to have been taken up by later studies and the evidence was weak. However, earthwork defenses of this strategically important centre on the vulnerable north side can not be excluded.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:09

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact