The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Suffolk Place

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Brandon Place; The Mint

In the civil parish of Bermondsey Rotherhithe And Southwark.
In the historic county of Surrey.
Modern Authority of London Borough of Southwark.
1974 county of Greater London.
Medieval County of Surrey.

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ32417980
Latitude 51.50163° Longitude -0.09371°

Suffolk Place has been described as a certain Palace.

There are no visible remains.


Brandon Place, later Suffolk Place, was C15 aristocratic townhouse. Sir Thomas Brandon, who inherited Brandon Place from his mother in 1497, created a private park adjoining it from some 48 acres of meadows and pastures belonging to the Bishop of Winchester. After his death in 1510 it passed to his nephew Charles Brandon, who was created Duke of Suffolk in 1514 and married Henry VIII's sister Mary in 1515. In 1516 Suffolk purchased 11 messuages and eight gardens in Southwark to enlarge the site of the house and by 1518 he was commissioning extensive building work there. In 1521 he renegotiated the lease of the park, renewing it for a further 99 years. Antonis van den Wyngaerde's panorama of London, drawn c. 1544-8, shows Suffolk Place as a large mansion set back from the High Street behind a gatehouse and wall or fence. The main house contained a central block of three storeys with wings extending to the north and west. Henry VIII acquired Suffolk Place, by exchange with Brandon for Norwich Place on the Strand, in February 1536. He granted it to Jane Seymour in June 1537, but when she died the following October it reverted to the King. He had minor repairs and improvements made to the house and gardens, but seems to have visited it seldom, if at all. In 1545 the house was converted into a mint, and until August 1551 it produced silver and gold coin. Thereafter, the house reverted to its former status as a royal mansion. In 1556 Queen Mary granted it to the Archbishop of York, whose Westminster townhouse, York Place, had been seized by Henry VIII in 1529 and converted into the Royal Palace of Whitehall. The archbishop soon purchased Norwich Place to use instead and sold Suffolk Place in 1557, after which the house was demolished and smaller houses built upon the site. (PastScape)

Farther vp on that side, almost directly ouer against Saint Georges church, was sometime a large and most sumptuous house, builded by Charles Brandon late Duke of Suffolk, in the raign of Henry the eight, which was called Suffolke house, but comming afterwardes into the Kinges hands, the same was called Southwarke place, and a mint of coynage was there kept for the King. To this place came king Edward the sixte, in the second of his raigne, from Hampton court, and dined in it. He at that time made Iohn Yorke one of the shiriffes of London knight, and then rode through the Citty to Westminster. Queene Mary gaue this house to Nicholas He th Archbishop of Yorke, and to his successors for euer, to be their Inne or lodging for their repaire to London, in recompence of Yorke house neare to Westminster, which King Henry her Father had taken from Cardinall Wolsey. (Stow)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:01

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact