The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Winchester Bishops Palace, Southwark

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Winchester House

In the civil parish of Bermondsey Rotherhithe And Southwark.
In the historic county of Surrey.
Modern Authority of London Borough of Southwark.
1974 county of Greater London.
Medieval County of Surrey.

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ32578039
Latitude 51.50691° Longitude -0.09097°

Winchester Bishops Palace, Southwark has been described as a certain Palace.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Winchester Palace was known as 'Winchester House' before the 19th century. There was a substantial timber and stone building circa 20 metres from the river, probably owned by the merchant Ogar. This was bought by the bishops of Winchester in 1144-1149 to add to the property built for Bishop William Giffard in 1109. This was his London residence for carrying out royal or administrative state business. Major construction work occurred in the 13th century, and a long two storey range was built with a new wharf, north of the original buildings. A hall connected to a chapel, and a large drain that emptied into the dock. Two further ranges created a courtyard open on the south side and fed into the palace's outer courtyard. The outer buildings included stables, stone gateway, kitchen garden, and pleasure gardens. The north range was remodelled in the later 13th and early 14th centuries. The hall's west gable wall was reconstructed in the early 14th century with a rose window above three doorways. A south range enclosed the inner courtyard in 1319-20. New bishops' apartments were built in 1356-7, and later in the 14th century a large kitchen block was built to provide one north range. In 1424, James I of Scotland and Joan Beaufort held their wedding reception here, and in 1540, Henry VIII probably met Catherine Howard at the house. The last bishop to live there was Lancelot Andrewes who died in 1626. In 1642 it was converted to a prison for royalists, and after five years was then sold to Thomas Walker of Camberwell. At the Restoration it was returned to the See of Winchester but was in such a bad state that the Bishop let it out as tenements and it deteriorated even further. In 1814, a fire destroyed most of the building. The surviving remains are mainly early 14th century in date, standing on the foundations of the earlier palace. (PastScape)

Great hall of Bishop of Winchester's palace (remains), now incorporated in warehouses. Early C14. Walls of mainly original early C14 stonework (on earlier foundations) consist of high west wall with part of return wall south, with excavations on a rectangular plan exposed to east. Between 3rd- and 4th-floor levels of west wall, remains of C14 rose window (restored 1972) with inserted hexagon of 18 cusped triangles. Beneath, on 1st floor, 3 arched openings with traces of jambs. At basement level on east side of west wall are stone vault springers. On south wall, between ground and 1st floor, a C14 pointed-arched doorway with moulded arch and jambs, attached shafts and caps, with remains of arched opening below. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: this was the town residence of the Bishops of Winchester from the C12 to the Civil War, when it was used as a civil prison. By the C18 warehouses had been established over most of the site, forming the main character of the Clink area. (Listed Building Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:01

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact