The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

West Tarring Archbishops Palace

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
The Old Palace, West Tarring; Parsonage House

In the civil parish of Worthing.
In the historic county of Sussex.
Modern Authority of West Sussex.
1974 county of West Sussex.
Medieval County of Sussex (Rape of Bramber).

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ132041
Latitude 50.82454° Longitude -0.39315°

West Tarring Archbishops Palace has been described as a certain Palace.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Remains of a C13 house with C15 hall, built on the site of Archbishop Becket's Palace. Converted into the Rectory at the Reformation and since the erection of the modern Rectory used as the Parish Hall. T-shaped flint and rubble building with stone quoins and frames to windows and doors. Gable at east end. South and west sides have buttresses. C15 2-light cinquefoil headed windows with stone mullions and transoms. C13 lancet window in south wing. Horsham stone slate roof, the upper portion renewed with red tiles. (Listed Building Report)

The Old Palace, the original manor-house, comprises the hall and solar blocks of a substantial house which was at one time larger. The two-storeyed solar is of 13th-century origin, but was remodelled in the 15th century with for instance new window tracery. The open hall was probably built in the early 14th century, perhaps replacing an earlier one, and was partly reconstructed in the 15th. There is evidence that other buildings formerly existed west of the hall, presumably for service purposes, and east of the solar. A gatehouse mentioned in the early 16th century has also disappeared. The surviving building has been altered or restored on several occasions, notably in the 17th, 19th, and 20th centuries. At some date between the early 16th century and the 18th, it became attached to the rectory manor. In the mid 18th century the hall was divided into three rooms, but Jeremiah Milles, rector 1747–79, repaired the building and converted it into a charity school, which it remained, though apparently not continuously, until c. 1910. Part, however, was still used as cottages in 1805, and as a dairy in 1833. After c. 1910 the building was used as a parish hall, being bought by the parochial church council in 1958. A square dovecot of cobbles, with a hipped and tiled roof, survived in 1978. (VCH 1980)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:01

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact