GATEHOUSE
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Pulteneys Inn

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Pulteney House; Pountney's Inn; Manor of the Rose; Redde Roos; Red Rose

In the civil parish of City Of London.
In the historic county of City of London.
Modern Authority of City and County of the City of London.
1974 county of Greater London.

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ32718079
Latitude 51.51066° Longitude -0.08894°

Pulteneys Inn has been described as a probable Fortified Town House.

There are no visible remains.

Description

Licence to crenellate issued, in 1341, to Johannes de Pulteneye, for 'mansum' in London. John de Pulteney was mayor of London 1330-33 and 1336. He also obtained, at the same time, licenses for Penshurst Place and Cheveley. Pulteney House, situated in or near Candlewick Street, in the parish later called St. Lawrence Pountney in the City of London.

Pulteney's Inn, later know as the manor of the Rose, was (Sir John Pulteney's) principal residence, developed in the late 1330's with a crenellated range (possibly the hall) and a four-storeys tower at its upper end erected under a licence of 1341. The property was subsequently held by a number of distinguished magnates including the Black Prince, the earl of Arundel (1385-97), Edmund, duke of York, the dukes of Suffolk (1439-1504), and Edward, duke of Buckingham (1506-21). This was a mansion on the grandest scale, but though a late thirteenth/early fourteenth-century two-bay vaulted undercroft, narrow vaulted passage, and two small chambers in line were discovered in 1894, they were ruthlessly destroyed. (Emery, p. 223)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1341 Oct 6 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated on Saturday, September 20, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤