The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Lyndhurst; The Queens House

In the civil parish of Lyndhurst.
In the historic county of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.
Modern Authority of Hampshire.
1974 county of Hampshire.
Medieval County of Hampshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SU29720813
Latitude 50.87191° Longitude -1.57887°

Lyndhurst; The Queens House has been described as a probable Palace.

There are earthwork remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


In 1358 Edward III assumed control of the New Forest and immediately set about creating four hunting lodges, all of which were probably within the newly enclosed park (SU30NW6) he had created in 1354-5. These were the Park Lodge, Studley and Helmsley, and the most important at Hatheburgh. Each was of timber-frame and plaster construction, roofed with Purbeck and Cornish slates., and surrounded by a ditch. The Hatheburgh Lodge had a chapel, great gate and postern, and a long house containing the chambers and offices. Although the works were completed in 1361, a new hall and houses were built at Hatheburgh in 1365. (PastScape ref. HKW)

A park was attached to the manor of Lyndhurst from a very early date. In 1299 it covered an area of 500 acres, the profits from the honey gathered there amounting to 2s. per annum. In 1313 mention is made of 'the close of Queen Margaret at Lyndhurst.' Later in the century the Sheriff of Southampton was ordered to provide the necessary transport for the work of inclosing the king's park at Lyndhurst. In 1358 John de Beauchamp was charged to sell sufficient timber from the park of Lyndhurst to defray the expense of making four lodges and ridings in the forest. In 1387 and again in 1428 payments were made for the fencing and repairing of the palings of the king's park at Lyndhurst. (VCH)

Once royal hunting lodge, now Forestry Commission headquarters. Of medieval origin and Tudor, surviving building C17 of 2 builds, altered early and mid C19 restored twice C20. Brick on rubble plinth, old plain roof. 2 storey and attic, 5 bay part with end bay set-back on one side, on other end 2 bay crosswing set- back,one side projecting on other. Road front has plinth right across. Central part of 4 gabled bays, crosswing at LH. Central part has LH of centre 6-panel door and semicircular fanlight in doorcase of pilasters supporting broken pediment. To LH small double sash. In other bays and set-back bay to RH, large cross-window. 1st floor raised band. On 1st floor similar windows except to LH of centre taller 2-light window with decorated panel dated 1880 in upper part. Raised quoins between LH bays at each end and to RH bay. Over centre part plaster cornice and 4 small gables with casements on parapet wall. Stack at LH end and between RH bays. LH crosswing C20 Tudor style. Inside is Verderer's Court room C18 but much restored, rest of building very much restored. (Listed Building Report)

The manor of Lyndhurst is first recorded in royal hands during C10. More substantial records of manor and manor house exist from 1272 onwards. During the late C13 and C14 the manor was often the property of the Queen and was also linked with the administrative centre for the New Forest; a function it retains to the present. There are fragmentary remains of the medieval structure still incorporated in the present building, and documents refer to repairs to it throughout the Middle Ages. The bulk of the present building dates from C16 with large scale later additions.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 15/08/2017 15:56:53

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact