GATEHOUSE
A comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales and the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Ingarsby Old Hall

In the civil parish of Hungarton.
In the historic county of Leicestershire.
Modern Authority of Leicestershire.
1974 county of Leicestershire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SK684053
Latitude 52.64178° Longitude -0.98882°

Ingarsby Old Hall has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

Late C15 country house incorporating a moated manor house which was granted to Leicester Abbey as a grange in 1352. The house was altered in 1706 and in C19 and C20. Built of ashlar with plinth of coursed rubble stone in part. The roof is of Swithland slate with brick end stacks and of Welsh slate to the rear of the building. (PastScape-listed building description)

The north, west and southern arms of a moat defining an area of approximately 150m square. The moat has an outer bank up to 1.5m high and is an average of 8-10m wide and 2m deep with the exception of a section of the northern arm which is up to 20m wide and 3m deep. Enclosed by the moat are some surviving grange buildings incorporated into Ingarsby Old Hall which is excluded from the scheduling. Earthworks on the eastern side of the moat show an extension of the northern arm and outer bank of the moat for 50m which then turns south, at which point a large outer mound adjoins the corner. The southward ditch continued but ceased to function as a moat but became stock enclosures. Some 50m to the east is an outer boundary bank running north-south. To the south-west of the moat is a large millpond lying alongside the stream and measuring 200m x 80m formed by damming the valley with a bank up to 2m high and building a bank alongside the stream and scarping on the eastern side of the pond. The manor of the Daungervills was granted to Leicester Abbey in 1352 with the remainder purchased by the mid C15. The millpond was constructed at the time of the original grant. (PastScape-scheduling report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape       Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
OS getamap   Streetmap   Old-Maps   Where's the path   NLS maps  
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   EarthTools   GeoHack  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated on Friday, November 14, 2014

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤