The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Ubley Manor

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Obbeleigh; Hubley; Waterloo House

In the civil parish of Ubley.
In the historic county of Somerset.
Modern Authority of Bath and North East Somerset.
1974 county of Avon.
Medieval County of Somerset.

OS Map Grid Reference: ST52895833
Latitude 51.32212° Longitude -2.67742°

Ubley Manor has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are uncertain remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.


Remains of a 14th century manor house formerly owned by the Cheddar family and situated two chains east of the rectory, pulled down 25 years ago during the building of the rectory (OS record card 1902).
Collinson refers to a "capital mansion" at Ubley in the time of Henry VI. The Tithe Map of 1839 shows a large L-shaped house, known as Waterloo House in 19th century, although acknowledged to be the manor house. Now no remains and published entry refers to a small outhouse and well (OS records; Collinson)
ST528584, walling including a 15th century doorway and window on the site of Ubley Manor House has been rediscovered in the kitchen garden, east of the old rectory. The 15th century doorway has been moved to the wall of a new garage and the bit of window consolidated in situ. Bristol Museum have finds from here when the house was built.(8) Site is quite extensive, c50m x 100m beside the new vicarage (date 1830). The vicarage incorporates much stone detail robbed from the manor house. The area of the house is hummocky (under grass) and presumably conceals upstanding remains of the centre house layout. This is due to be developed and should be excavated or at very least watched during building. This scheduling is intended not to cover the area of the house, but only the pieces of upstanding masonry including ashlar walls with windows and a doorway which are all the visible remains of the house - presumably part of the hall. A new house now stands on the site of the old manor house, but the bits of masonry described above have been incorporated in the new buildings or left standing. The doorway has been moved from its original site and is incorporated in the wall of the garage, just to the southeast of the house, and there is a piece of upstanding masonry standing just behind the house - this comprises some walling and part of a window frame. (Bath and North East Somerset HER)

Three miles south of Chew lies Ubley, where there is a modest manor house with a fortified gatehouse and a park beside it. It belonged to Lord Cheddar, whose estate passed by heiresses to the Lords Lisle, Daubeney and Newton. (Chandler - transcription and modernisation of Leland)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:29

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact